labels Are my labels exempt from sales tax

Business 101 fail here...

Just ordered a shit ton of label for my HS bottles.

Should I be exempt on paying sales tax for my labels since they are going onto my hot sauce bottles which are normally exempt from sales tax cause they be of the condiment sort of thingee?

been paying tax in the past, but would love to avoid it if possible now!  LOL

No! You should not be paying sales tax on your labels. If you are paying sales tax from the sale of your HS, then you are paying double tax on the label portion. Since the labels are being sold as a part of the finished product, you are paying sales tax on the purchase of the labels, then again on the sale of the sauce. You should be getting labels at a wholesale level. You shouldn't be paying sales tax for anything involved as part of the finished product. Peppers, vinegar, bottle caps and labels should all be purchased wholesale. Spoons, mixing bowls, paper towels are not included, they are considered disposable and not part of the finished product, therefore sales tax should be pais at time of purchase.

Here in WA we have a certificate we renew every year, it's called a Resale Certificate. When I buy something from my supplier, or Home Depot, they have a form for me to sign saying I am responsible for the sales tax, and they record my registration number from my resale certificate. It's a one time thing, they keep it on file so I don't have to sign it for every purchase.

I hope this helps.

Back