• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are there any varieties that will fruit in high temps?

Hey all, I've noticed my Datil peppers haven't set any new fruit since the temps climbed into the 90's with 80's at night. Rereading my old Peppers of the World book and it says that pepper plants abort their blossoms with night temps in the upper 80's. It also says that daytime temps over 95 cause pollen to abort. The book mentioned using hormones such as Bloom Set to force fruiting, but I'd rather not resort to that unless absolutely necessary.

Are there any varieties that will still set fruit in these high temps?

I've got a couple Thai hot ornamentals that are loving the 100 degree weather here and are still setting pods like crazy -- also got 2 pods on one jalapeno plant but the others are just dropping everything and growth has slowed since they pretty much shut down in the heat for most of the day and only grow a bit during the evenings early morning hours. Fortunately we have a pretty long season so once things cool down a bit in late August\early September the plants should be ready for it !

Surely people will flog me for suggesting it, but you might be underwatering. I've had near 100F' temps for over a week and the peppers are loving it... given enough water, and nitrogen, as the growth rate accelerates the nutes have to correspond.

Surely people will flog me for suggesting it, but you might be underwatering. I've had near 100F' temps for over a week and the peppers are loving it... given enough water, and nitrogen, as the growth rate accelerates the nutes have to correspond.

Yes, I actually re-potted some recently to add more water retaining capacity. They are not drying out. I'm pretty sure it's just the heat.

Are you shading your plants from the sun?

Mezo.

I have them set where they receive morning sun, under an east-facing patio roof-edge. They were doing fine in this spot until the extreme summer heat set in. They still look green and healthy, and are not wilting between waterings.

from my experience here in North Texas...Cayennes, Jalapenos, and Banana Peppers slow down production but still produce throughout the summer...and they are annuums..

the only chinense I have had success with as far as production goes during the very hot summer months is the lowly orange habanero...

I'm with the others who still get production during the hot temps. This is my first year growing so I have nothing to compare to, but all of my plants are continuing to set more pods despite the upper 90 to 100 degree temps we've been constantly getting the past 3 weeks. They wilt like crazy during the heat of the day but bounce back nicely during the night/morning. They each get a 1/4 gallon of water total each day spaced out into even waterings every 6 hours (drip system). They keep putting out pods and on some, seem to put them out even more compared to the lower temp days we had.

Thanks all,
I know I still have lots of season left, but as this is my first serious attempt at growing peppers, I'm still getting a feel of what the limits are. I have some annuums coming along, so I'll see what I get next year with those.

Just discovered today that while my peppers and tomatoes are loving the several days of 95F-100F temperature, my okra are aborting not only buds and blooms but the smallest pods already fertilized.

The only one I've ever heard of with a high-temp fruit set is the NuMex R. Naky. According to the CPI, however, it's not very hot. Sounds like it's better suited in an arid climate, too.

http://www.chilepepperinstitute.org/cart/product/r_naky/

Back