• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Are there wild annuums/ chiltepins naturalizing on eastern seaboard and/or New England?

Hi there, I've noticed over the past few years that the BONAP distribution maps for Capsicum annuum in the US show that there are populations that have begun naturalizing, or growing as weeds in the north-eastern US. Can anyone state-side confirm this?

Here's the map I'm referring to...

Capsicum%20annuum.png

Thanks!

hogleg said:
Is there a legend for this map that denotes the colors?? I'm curious about the small light green section east of napa co. in california?

4ue9sz.png

So ... now you see Allegheny county in PA is colored as "Species exotic and present" ....  that would be Pr0digal_son  !!!

cone9 said:
So ... now you see Allegheny county in PA is colored as "Species exotic and present" ....  that would be Pr0digal_son  !!!

Agreed! I live in Canada, on the west coast, but if I lived in far southern Ontario (similar latitude to Massachusetts), I'd definitely try and experiment with seeds of those strains.

The west coast gets milder winters, but southern Ontario has the long, hot, humid summers that most peppers need to really thrive. Alas, this is Canada, and we have no happy mediums within our different climates.

Not slagging off BONAP,but if you look at S.lycopersicum,the only state on the Eastern Seaboard that doesn't have them is W.Virginia. I am positive someone is growing tomatoes in W.Virginia. Now teeth are a different story.

I would guess that Virginia would be the line where a wild annuum could possibly naturalize. That is a very long season species.

Looks like there are species present and native for my location (downstate NY), now I'm really curious to try and hunt down some native/naturalized pepper species. I wish I had a little more info as to what is growing in my region and where they tend to grow naturally. 

Do you have a link to these maps? It's hard to tell exactly what the colors are. I think my parish is teal.

But it'd be nice to have more information as to what exactly all this means, and how the data was collected, etc...

Thank you, though, interesting stuff.

Back