• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pod Are These Anaheims?

hi, everyone!

i saw these peppers at the grocery store a couple days and they were labeled as "red anaheims". i cook with green anaheims frequently, but i've never seen red... let alone yellow, orange and brownish/purple ones. i know chilis change colours as they ripen, but can they go through all stages of these colours as they ripen?

out of curiosity, i saved the seeds and they're currently drying separated by colour. has anyone seen or had their anaheims have so many colours?

i realize that they could be a hybrid of some sort so if i do grow them they could end up totally different, but it's free to save the seeds and try. i'm sending them to my friend's dad who is a master pepper grower to grow them (i live in an apartment and he has tons of space) so he can grow them and see what comes of them.

thanks in advance to anyone who chimes in!

Attachments

• anaheims.jpg
    anaheims.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 25
Green and red Anaheim yes but the yellow and orange ones could possibly be Marconi peppers. Is there any heat to them? There are also countless hybrids out now which makes identification very difficult. It’s also common for stores to intentionally mislabel varieties and hybrids as something more familiar to sell more product.

Last edited:
Green and red Anaheim yes but the yellow and orange ones could possibly be Marconi peppers. Is there any heat to them? There are also countless hybrids out now which makes identification very difficult. It’s also common for stores to intentionally mislabel varieties and hybrids as something more familiar to sell more product.
wow, you're good! i googled what a marconi pepper looks like and you've narrowed it down quite a bit. i found this picture on garden.org and they look quite similar. for me, an identifying characteristic of this pod is that "cowl" sort of appearance near the stem, my green anaheims don't look like that, but i thought maybe that could be because these are more mature. however, after searching everywhere online, i couldn't find a single picture of a yellow, orange or brown anaheim. and none of the pictures have that wrinkled, cowl-like appearance at the stem. then again, not all pics of the marconi peppers have that feature, either.

i haven't eaten them yet, but i did roast them last night. i'm making tri tip fajitas with them, so i'll report back later this evening as to whether they're sweet or not. if they're on the sweet side, then maybe it could be these giant marconi peppers.

thanks for the input!

Attachments

• giant marconi.jpg
    giant marconi.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 9
i can confirm that they're sweet. and really good, too

Back