• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Are these broad mites?

Hello,

Can any tell me if these are broad mites or something else. I've attached the best image I could get.

The "organic" Permethrine doesn't seem to touch them.

I just tried dusting with diatomaceous earth.

I've been hoping to get my seedling planted out, but it's been too cold here. That's one of the reasons I think they might be broad mites.

They only seem to be on the few plants I bought at the big box stores.

Thank you.
47a296b2fb088d9dc0f906b8712bd4ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Your photo is a bit out of focus, but to me the whitish specks look like aphid sheds, so the greenish specks are likely aphids. If your permethrin isn't working then I would question the potency of the product. Either that, or perhaps you didn't mix it strong enough. Mixing it to the recommended strength listed on the label should be effective if the the product is potent. I have found pyrethrin, neem oil, and Castile soap to all be effective against aphids. You may have to apply the product more than once to completely get rid of the infestation, though. Aphids can repopulate rapidly if any survive the first application.

Thank you for the information. Apperently broad mites are too small to see with the naked eye. I didn't think they were aphids because I didn't see any actual aphids, but I didn't thimk of the sheds.

The product I used is a called "garden safe*. May be its not strong enough. I've attached a pic of the label.

Anyway, my plants now look like powdered donuts due to the diatomaceous earth., which should work for aphids. I'll treat them with soap spray as well.

Fortunately the affected plants I had planned for pots on the deck, so whatever it is, it will be sequestered from the garden and most of my plants.
6089b7fb5b92d9bc4b64a1abc0a83c55.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back