• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pics Are these considered leggy seedlings? *Pics*

These seedlings are 3 weeks old. Second set of true leaves are growing in as of this post. Are these considered too leggy? If so what should I do? Thank you!
IMG_20220304_213406.jpg
IMG_20220304_214129.jpg

Last edited:
A bit leggy yes but its not that bad. Try to lower your lamp or to give them more light.

A bit leggy yes but its not that bad. Try to lower your lamp or to give them more light.
I have lowered the lamps and some of the leaves are burning. So Idk what to do. I read when you transplant them into 3.5 inch containers you can bury the seedlings deeper into the soil. But idk if its safe to do that now.

Reactions: Bou
What kind of lamp are you using?
Also, you can bury them up to the cotyledons.

Last edited:
Small Led don't emit much heat so you can to play with the lamp height until you find the "sweet spot". Little seedlings are way more sensitive but as they grow they will harden.

Yes, it's safe and pepper plants are very resilient btw. Just wait for the soil to be a bit dry before doing so and pay attention not to damage the roots to much and they should be just fine.

Peoples are so bushy it makes me jealous. I tried not to cook these since I just started Temps have varied. Poor drainage and overwatering I find is my thing. I also learned don't spray leaves unless foliar feeding which I have not done yet. Red Hot Cherry and Jalapeno. Using distilled water now. started on hard tap water left out. The jalapenos seem most unhappy.

Attachments

• 20220305_091440.jpg
    20220305_091440.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 102
  • 20220305_091447.jpg
    20220305_091447.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220305_091452.jpg
    20220305_091452.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 105
  • 20220305_091457.jpg
    20220305_091457.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20220305_091504.jpg
    20220305_091504.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 20220305_091516.jpg
    20220305_091516.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Peoples are so bushy it makes me jealous. I tried not to cook these since I just started Temps have varied. Poor drainage and overwatering I find is my thing. I also learned don't spray leaves unless foliar feeding which I have not done yet. Red Hot Cherry and Jalapeno. Using distilled water now. started on hard tap water left out. The jalapenos seem most unhappy.
I would not recommend distilled water. I always use filtered (from my refrigerator) tap water.

If you are using a quality potting mix (I use either Ocean Forest or Happy Frog) additional fertilization, such as foliar feeding is probably unnecessary, and actually detrimental.

I use the 'weight method' when checking for whether to water; i.e. lift the container with the plant in it. If it is very light, add water. If it is heavier, hold off for a day or so. Overwatering is the bane of young plants. I have had ones that were completely wilted from lack of water that recovered in a couple hours after watering. Better to be a little dry.

Last edited:
I started in pro mix hp mycorrhizae no amendments. I'll mix in some brita longlast filtered water back In but it is very hard water. I am bottom watering mostly. I just cut bigger holes instead of slices for my cups the other day.

Last edited:
I started in pro mix hp mycorrhizae no amendments. I'll mix in some brita longlast filtered water back In but it is very hard water. I am bottom watering mostly. I just cut bigger holes instead of slices for my cups the other day.

I had success top watering mostly. Bottom watering done improperly can cause root rot.

Also, I tried to get into 1 quart pots as soon as possible. Gives the roots more room to develop, and lessens the need for more frequent watering.

I was thinking it is time to transplant maybe amend some soil with some coffee grounds and egg shells. I might top water next time for most of these to ensure I am getting a good watering. root rot is possible I am thinking will have to take good look today.

They look leggy to me. Insufficient or bad light is the typical culprit there, so try to improve what they have. These are what I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YLQRJSQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - you can see the results in my glog. They have smaller packs I think (1-2 pack)

You didn't mention airflow. If you don't already, get a fan on them. The airflow also helps to strengthen and thicken main stems.
Airflow happens at night when i put them below a ceiling fan when i sleep. So about 7 hrs of airflow.

If your water is very hard don't add eggshells. Hardwater is already full of calcium no need to add more you just risk overdosing

From my experience, unless you pulverize them into power, eggshells take a long time to break down.

Back