• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Are these crappy lights better than nothing?

Would something like the below provide any benefit at all to a batch of seedlings?

I wouldn't expect them to grow and fruit under them or anything, but would it be a boost until it's warm enough for real sun or a typical Amazon money grab with no actual benefit?

1677533211947.png

Most any grow light would be good enough for seedlings as long as it provides the coverage you need. Personally I would look for lights that can be daisy chained together if needed. This looks like it would be better suited for potted plants of different sizes. You might find it difficult to get even light distribution on large starter trays with this style light.

Last edited:
I use these for my starters: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YLQRJSQ/ but that might be a bit too much for your setup, I think they have smaller ones and I know they have smaller packs (like 4) They've been great for the starters before they go outside.

It's unavailable but I've had good luck with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B095WJ8XND/ even for getting fruit inside (just harvested some serranos growing under one). The suggestions all look pretty similar.

Note that 1000W isn't the power draw, it's the light output.

Last edited:
Actually that is the LED equivalent of incandescent lighting at 1000W.
I suppose that may be. LED light output is measured in watts, like lasers. Those lights say they have 100x 10W LEDs. But then as I think about it, a 1000W laser would be like a military weapon, so that doesn't make sense, it would be as bright as a 100k movie sunlamp.

So I went and checked the label. Power consumption is 180W. It does say "equivalent to 1000W" as you say. But then the 100x 10W LED doesn't make sense either. 😵‍💫

So, I'm done confusing myself and everyone else (Probably confused myself more at this point!) - the power draw is 180W and I'm sticking to that story!
Bottom line is they've worked great for me.

Just my .02 worth.
After decades of using 2 double 8' High output Fluorescent lights we moved this year to LED grow lights.
Both lights at set at 50% output & still out light, the usable space of the Two 8 ' fixtures we had.

This pic was taken the day we started our seeds, today everything is up & growing well.
How many past pics of starting our plants? None. It was a pain to tend the plants, when the lights were mere inches above the seedlings to
help keep the plants from getting spindly. Being inches from the light we had to worry about leaf burn when the plants got too close to the bulbs.

I got both light on sale from amazon for $210.00 & now I have 2, 8' Fluorescents for sale real cheap LOL.

1677583213887.png

I have an old beast of a grow light that I don't use any more.

It actually noticeably heated and dehumidified my basement while it was running. It warmed my skin and standing near it felt like I was frolicking in a sunlit meadow. You probably could've checked my bone health by holding an xray film behind me while it was on.

My ISP reached out to me because when I turned this thing on it would actually start kicking people in my neighbourhood offline and it took them months to narrow it down to my house.

They could tell me over the phone when I turned it on, and when I turned it off.

I really, really want to say that me having a stranglehold over an entire neighbourhood's internet is a "them" problem vs a "me" problem, but I stopped using it.

Since then my basement is cold.

And damp.

And barren.

Sounds like a prank call. How could a light affect ISP service?

Sounds like a prank call. How could a light affect ISP service?
Noisy / Dirty power? I dunno, sounded like voodoo to me, but they sent a tech out and everything.

They did finally convince me, but like I say... Me being able to affect their service definitely sounded it should be a "them" problem.

I have an old beast of a grow light that I don't use any more.

It actually noticeably heated and dehumidified my basement while it was running. It warmed my skin and standing near it felt like I was frolicking in a sunlit meadow. You probably could've checked my bone health by holding an xray film behind me while it was on.

My ISP reached out to me because when I turned this thing on it would actually start kicking people in my neighbourhood offline and it took them months to narrow it down to my house.

They could tell me over the phone when I turned it on, and when I turned it off.

I really, really want to say that me having a stranglehold over an entire neighbourhood's internet is a "them" problem vs a "me" problem, but I stopped using it.

Since then my basement is cold.

And damp.

And barren.
Was it an old metal halide or high pressure sodium?

Back