• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are these Ghost Peppers?

Howdy folks. I'm new here and very new to growing peppers. My wife got me this little 'Grow Your Own Ghost Pepper' kit. You've probably seen it. Comes in a little can. I transferred the plant to a larger pot. Long story short, the plant started to produce a few weeks ago. The peppers haven't ripened as I expected. They've ripened to more of a chocolate color. I've attached some images. So, are these Jolokia?

1.jpg

The other plant in the pot is Rosemary. My wife thought it would be a good idea to put it in there. Could that have something to do with it?

I can't tell with out a close up. Theres a chocolate variety of ghost pepper. They are definitely pretty fat for a ghost but i've had some be rather huge too. The Rosemary isn't an issue.

The "Grow Your Own Ghost Pepper' kit"  from what I seen has been Hab's and I would think that one is too, but very hard to rell from the pic.   

The nearest pod that's still green has a hab shape but the farthest pod that's brown looks too long and pointed for hab. My guess is you just have at best an open pollinated ghost that got crossed with a hab. Either way it looks to be a chinense and so it should be fairly hot, whatever it is.

Hi and thanks for the replies! I've attached a closer shot. I've just discovered that the same people make a Chocolate Habanero kit. I almost wonder if that's what they are. I distinctly remember the kit saying Ghost Chili, but hey, things happen.

4.jpg

jmccurry3d said:
Hi and thanks for the replies! I've attached a closer shot. I've just discovered that the same people make a Chocolate Habanero kit. I almost wonder if that's what they are. I distinctly remember the kit saying Ghost Chili, but hey, things happen.

4.jpg
+1 for choc hab. Should be hot and tasty!
Enjoy your new addiction!

Roast those pods with a couple of cloves of garlic; then smash together with apple vinegar and black pepper and dashes of salt and Worcestershire and soy sauces.  This will be an hellacious accompaniment for your yellowfin steak.

You  may have accidentally gotten the tastier variety.  Save seeds, though, and there's an excellent chance you can exchange envelopes with someone growing bhuts.

Back