• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are these Jololkia peppers? (pics)

A friend of mine grew what he described as some jolokia peppers in his garden this year (knowing that I love peppers and would invariably eat one for amusement purposes). Well, he called me this past morning and said he picked them off the plant... four or five total yield. So I visited him to try out the infamous jolokia. When I first saw them I thought they looked a bit like red savina or scotch bonnet habaneros. I thought ghost chiles were supposed to be longer & more triangular in cross section with fewer wrinkles/folds.

I thought they tasted like red habaneros... but never having eaten a jolokia I had no idea what to expect. I ate it raw in one bite to get the full effect. Actually, the taste was pretty good - light sweet and fruity. However, these suckers were HOT. I love to eat habaneros with cream cheese or stuffed & fried so I can handle heat pretty well but these peppers really lit me up for a solid 5-10 minutes. I even had to drink a cup of milk. Definitely hotter than your supermarket variety habanero... red or orange. Unlike a hab's quick heat this pepper's heat was a bit delayed and just kept building more and more over the period of a few minutes.

Later that day, I diced one up whole and put it on a taco. Pretty good. Would be great in salsas to add a light lasting heat.
Based on looks alone I would not have believed they weren't habs...
Are these actually jolokias? Or are they freakishly hot red hababeros?

781b6359.jpg

5b65ba45.jpg

I'm not sure what you have there but I highly doubt (correct me if I'm wrong folks.) That that is a Jolokia of any kind. Here's a picture of the Bhut Jolokia.
bhutjolokiachillichilepepperinstituteseeds.jpg

Yes, based off of internet pics of the jolokia and the habanero-like look & taste I have alot of doubts.
It was unusually hot for a hab though. I've never had a Red Savina and I hear those are pretty hot.
Maybe it was one of those... ??

The seed package said "bhut jolokia" and my friend was growing NO habaneros. Perhaps the seed package was mistaken.
He did have some Hungarian wax and banana peppers growing near the "jolokia" plants. Cross-pollination problems?

I would ask your friend where he got the seeds. There has been more than one seed vendor that was selling seeds that were not true.

I would say those are not Bhut Jolokias, they look very much like a habanero. The difference in heat level between a Habanero and a true Bhut Jolokia is very noticable. The red peppers in the center in the photo below are Assam Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon strain from another member here. They have the real Bhut shape you are looking for.

100_1248.jpg

Back