• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

lighting Are these lights okay?

Hello all,

I just bought these lights. two of them. Was wondering if they are sufficient for indoor growing. I will be getting some in the 3000k range for the flowering stages as well, I just figured I'd start with the 6500k for now. The price was right at 60$ each. Oh, its the 4ft, not the 2ft. Please let me know what you think.

The only concern I have really is that the light measurement that they identify is in Lux, not in Lumens (2 x 5000 lux, x 2 = 20,000 lux, is that enough?). Couldn't figure out how to post the picture...

I bow to your knowledge. Thanks in advance!

Product Information

Brand New 2FT/4FT Deformable DIY T5 Fluorescent Grow Light with 2x 6500K Bulbs & Reflectors
This grow light can help you get a good harvest quickly and conveniently. The High Output T5 Lamp can provide perfect spectrum for the growing, blooming and fruiting stages of plants! Lighting our light to light up your harvest season. It's easy to design - To own your T5 Grow Light set!

Features:

Unique Design: deformable light stand + rotatable incorporate bulb with reflector
Satisfy your plants in various needs of heights, stages, varieties and grow areas
Change surface light source in different directions according to your need
Adjusting varying space between tubes and plants in same light
Lighting more concentrated and precise to reap quickly
Dual-purpose 6500K Color Temperature Fluorescent Tube:
Provides blue spectrum to promote plant green and lush
Good for the sprouting, growing stages of plants
Built-in ballast to provide stabilized voltage
No infrared ray and ultraviolet radiation to destroy your plants
Higher lumen, longer lifetime and steadier than T8 light
UL listed Socket and 6ft long power cord (with US standard plug)
Assembly is required
Specifications:

2FT BASIC Light 4FT BASIC Light
Voltage Supply 110V - 130V 110V - 130V
Actinic Tubes 2 Tubes 2 Tubes
Power 2x 24 Watts 2x 54 Watts
Color Temperature 2x 6500K White 2x 6500K White
Illumination 2x 2000 Lux 2x 5000 Lux
Overall Size 24-7/8"L x 8-1/2"W x 2-1/8"H 48-5/8"L x 8-1/2"W x 2-1/8"H
Package Contents:

1x Deformable DIY T5 HO Fluorescent Grow Light with Bulbs
5x Carabiners (Black or Silver carabiners will be sent out randomly)
4x Steel Wire Ropes(1-5/8 Ft)
1x Manual
Please set up your grow tent system depending on your specific plant. Thank you!

HB

I've only started 4 plants. 1) Bolivian Rainbow 2) Super Chili 3) Carolina Reaper and 4) Pimenta de Neyde.

Figured I'd start slow since I am a total newbie. I will be growing these in a DWC system.

juanitos said:
Yeah that's plenty for 4 plants for a while.
Juanitos, I was looking at the other thread on CFL lights and you suggest:

"lets use 6 bulbs, and space them out on the power strip enough
3 ys 6$
3 plug adapter 6$
power strip 4$
lights 20$ (with 2 extra)
36$ plus taxes.. 10k lumens not bahd"

I was wondering if I add CFL lights to my setup, say some 3500K ones, wuld that be good for flowering and fruiting? All I will have are 6500k with the T5's, so if I add say 10000 Lumens of 3500k CFL's would that do the trick? Thanks in advance.

HB
Also, I forgot to mention that the plants will be on a windowed balcony, with windows facing SW and SE, so they will be getting some daylight a well as artificial lighting. ;)

Any temp will be good for flowering and fruiting. If you want good performance once the roots hit that water then you should just concentrate on adding more light and not worrying what temp it is. Otherwise (I dont know how much sun you get through those windows in the winter) theyre going to grow up really fast looking for more light.

CFLs work but I'd recommend more T5's.

Since when does a newbie start in DWC?

never saw a newbie start DWC, i havnt even done DWC yet lol, goodluck my man. lighting situtation is great for that amount of plants, you can flower with the 6500k but there are 3000k red bulbs you can buy for T5s that would work even better. im probably gonna buy 4 3000k lights and use 4 6500k lights in the T5 HO 4ft 8 bulb fixture im getting.

Since when does a newbie start in DWC?[/quote]

I guess i like to complicate things? Just didnt seem to be that difficult, maybe Im wrong? Thanks for the great info :)

Oh its easy. Just seemed like a weird place to start.

Peppers flower and set fruit in the middle of summer. Kelvin is all cannabis hype. What matters is the amount of photosynthetically available light. Whatever is the highest watts/lumens/cheapest will work well.

able eye said:
Oh its easy. Just seemed like a weird place to start.

Peppers flower and set fruit in the middle of summer. Kelvin is all cannabis hype. What matters is the amount of photosynthetically available light. Whatever is the highest watts/lumens/cheapest will work well.

Kelvin has nothing to do with cannabis, and is about as useful as foot candles or lumens (pepper hype, you might say). It does give an idea of spectrum, which does matter.

miguelovic said:

Kelvin has nothing to do with cannabis, and is about as useful as foot candles or lumens (pepper hype, you might say). It does give an idea of spectrum, which does matter.

Hence the word hype.

Spectrum doesnt really matter. Weed and peppers grow equally as well under MH or HPS. And they will grow the same under cool or warm white fluoros.

When I said Kelvin is all hype I meant all the ideas that color temp matters.

able eye said:

Hence the word hype.

Spectrum doesnt really matter. Weed and peppers grow equally as well under MH or HPS. And they will grow the same under cool or warm white fluoros.

When I said Kelvin is all hype I meant all the ideas that color temp matters.

I see.

That was a bald-faced lie, all I see is gibber-atti. Got a reference for any of this?

miguelovic said:

I see.

That was a bald-faced lie, all I see is gibber-atti. Got a reference for any of this?

In my experience, color temp isn't super important with peppers - you just need to supply enough photosynthetically active radiation or PAR. In fact, I've had some plants that have actually preferred Metal Halide over High Pressure Sodium - with little to no difference in pod production. Cycle times between leaf growth, flowering, and pod development were almost identically timed between HPS and MH lights of the same wattage and distance from the plants and the same amount of hours per day.

To all of those who think it does matter - Try a conversion bulb and see for yourself, thats what I did. Just make sure that Color temp is the only variable that is changed, otherwise it isn't a good test.

I did the switch when the plants were already adults, grown in hydroponic medium. Color temp may have a greater affect when the plants are younger though on things like them stem and leaf habit.

I found the opposite slade122 for me I found the majority of my peppers preffered HPS with considerably larger pod production under HPS.

I will be interested to see how the reapers perform under MH/HPS I have a felling they will lean to preferring HPS.

Still waiting on ol' able eye to chime in. I've got a whole box of incandescents I could put to use...

There are too many side by sides of varying spectrum, producing different results for me to believe otherwise. I always welcome information that conflicts with what I believe. At the least, it challenges what I think I know, at best, I learn something new.

So the debate goes from color temp to incandescent lights?

Grow anything under a MH and then grow the very same thing under HPS. Two very different color temps.
Report back your results are largely the same like everyone else.

Maybe if you want to grow coral it matters. Peppers, weed,
basil...pretty much the same under any color temp.

If you want to argue my 20 years of on and off indoor growing and all the other anecdotal evidence I have seen in that same amount of time then you should be able to do better than your own anecdotal evidence.

Also if youre arguing basic changes like internodal distance then go somewhere else. I am talking overall plant growth, vigor, and yield. I am also talking already accepted horticulture lighting. No one brought up incandescent bulbs except the guy throwing out red herrings.

{S Chime

Well to the OP I think you've got plenty of light. I found T5s to be quite strong. I used 6500k bulbs and they did great until they went out for the summer.. I have a 4ftx4bulb and was able to get over 100 starts to around 6-8".

As to the debate... it was my understanding that some plants have a separate growth and flower mode like cannabis, while others like capsicum grow and flower at the same time. The former requiring the two separate spectrums (65 and the 27), while the later only needs the 6500k which most closely resembles the sun anyhow. ??

Coral is an animal, speaking of red herrings...

Back