• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Are These Ready?

1344471884.jpg

My first Fatali ever. Never ate one. Is this ready?

1344472381.jpg

This is a pepperochini I beleive. Is this too ripe? They were supposed to be sport peppers but everyone said they are pepperochini. The next picture is all green just like all of them I harvested. Had no Idea this would turn red and if that means its too ripe to eat.

1344472406.jpg

Is this better like this rather than the red like the pic above?

No it is not ready. Unless you're really anxious to try the first one or the plant is in jeopardy of breaking from excessive fruit weight on the limbs, leave them until the entire pod is evenly ripe to it's final color for best taste.

As for the sport or pepperoncini, while many (most) people pick them at a green to greenish-yellow hue, they are not only not too ripe to eat when further ripe, they will have a fuller, more sweet taste and more nutrients when riper. It may depend on how you plan to use them, whether ripening more is beneficial. Same is true for Jalapenos for example, some people don't want them red ripe while others do.

No it is not ready. Unless you're really anxious to try the first one or the plant is in jeopardy of breaking from excessive fruit weight on the limbs, leave them until the entire pod is evenly ripe to it's final color for best taste.

Will the Fatali get another color or is that yellow orangish color their final ripe color. Because its that color throughout the entire pod.

^ They will be evenly, deeper orange. The one you pictured looks more orange on top than bottom, or is that just an interaction between reflected sun and your camera? It also looks a bit like the tip of it is still green.

^ They will be evenly, deeper orange. The one you pictured looks more orange on top than bottom, or is that just an interaction between reflected sun and your camera? It also looks a bit like the tip of it is still green.

Gotcha I see what you're saying. Thanks I'll keep an eye on it. Getting excited to try it. Never had a Fatali before.

I agree.. Never grown a Fatali plant befor emyself, but I know my bhuts have ripened from top to bottom so Id let them turn one uniform color for best ripe flavor. Especially the first one., then youc an try semi ripe ones to see if you like those

pick off the fatalii and eat it. Picking fruits that are not fully ripe encourages better future production.

besides, its just the tip thats unripe. Its not that serious, guys.

^ I read that all the time but with my plants, picking off a full sized pepper does not appear to do anything to encourage better future production, it is only that a pod reaches full size so the plant then exerts energy on more stem and bud growth, that matters.

I can provide examples on every plant I have. Plenty of full sized unripe pods but no slowing at all of new bloom production. Can't we just let that urban myth die? Based on personal experience, picking less than ripe pods has no benefit in producing more future pods. I know I am stirring up a hornet's nest stating this, but I have not ever seen it to be true.

What happens is the plant puts energy into growing pods. Once they are full grown it is not the picking of them that matters, only that the plant is no longer putting energy into growing them so that energy is put towards more stem and leaf growth regardless of whether the pod was picked or not. A full sized pod does not use any energy to ripen, that is all enzymatic.

Back