• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Arizona outdoor grow 2010

I wasn't planning on starting a grow thread until I had something worth photographing and talking about etc, but I walked into a nice surprise this evening so... Here goes. :)
(No pics yet though, not until it really is worth taking pictures of. Seedlings are seedlings, and there are only 2 of em).

I ordered the following from Hippy Seed Co. and they were delivered 2 weeks or so ago.

Aji Lemon
Bonda Ma Jacques
Yellow 7pod
Bhut Jolokia
Orange Habanero
Trinidad Perfume

Last week I soaked them overnight, and the next day put them into Coconut pellets that had been watered with a really light superthrive/hygrzyme/rhizotonic mix and stuck them under the heating dome.
The only reason I even looked today is I needed to make sure they were still damp. Low and behold, I've got one Aji Lemon, and one Yellow 7pod already sprouted. That's the fastest I've had pepper seeds sprout. Usually I've had to wait a full 3-5 weeks for them to pop when using straight water and pellets.

Once they are ready they will be transferred into Dixie cups, and depending on how they do and how the weather goes they will maybe be potted up one time, or from there they will go outside into my garden patch once last frost passes.
With as many seeds as I have planted There will be some overflow into the other planters if a majority successfully germinates.

How far apart should I keep the different types from each other once outside if I want a good chance of getting non crossed seeds out of them for next year incase over-wintering doesn't work as well for these as it does for my Thai's?

I am glad to hear your seeds are germinating so quickly. When it comes to cross pollination I think it is usually something like a mile. Obviously the majority of us growers won't be able to get even close to this. You may want to try one of several isolation techniques. I bag my blossoms with tulle. Others glue flowers before they open, etc. It also probably depends on the populations of pollinating insects in your area.

Nice selection of peppers.

I've heard great things about the Bonda Ma Jacques....

Sounds like you have things pretty well sorted out. Keep us updated on your grow!

PeteyPepper said:
Nice selection of peppers.

I've heard great things about the Bonda Ma Jacques....

Sounds like you have things pretty well sorted out. Keep us updated on your grow!

I found them when my wife an I got married down in St. Lucia. They were awesome, but every time I searched for them I came up empty. I was stoked when I saw that Hippy had them.

Bonda ma Jaques are on my top three favorite pepper list. In fact i had the pleasure of picking two fresh pods from hippies plant yesterday! I have one left in the fridge.

I will say that they come from great stock, the plants he grows are as healthy as ten of mine!

I Just checked again this morning, and I've got 2 more 7pods and 1 more Aji lemon up. The yellow 7's are just banging to grow.

Looks like I will need to isolate a couple of plants to keep the sees pure then. Thanks for the tip Josh. I may actually do 1 of each indoors just for seed production for the future if I have room for it.
Last year we had a ton of Bee's (Which is awesome cause the 3 years before we had no Honey Bee's). We also have a ton of these little tiny Yellow and Green wasps that for some reason love Chili and Basil flowers and pollinated things like crazy last year.

Another Bonda man Jacques lover, they sure are great tasting peppers
I find the easiest way to isolate for pureness is to bring potted plants indoors(or into my greenhouse) for a week or so starting just when first flowers begin to open until pods begin to form, then I label the isolated pods for future seed saving

POTAWIE said:
I find the easiest way to isolate for pureness is to bring potted plants indoors(or into my greenhouse) for a week or so starting just when first flowers begin to open until pods begin to form, then I label the isolated pods for future seed saving

Awesome idea, and it sounds like it will be the easiest to pull off as well. I guess I'll do one of each in pots so I can separate them easier. Hopefully this is all a non issue though and these peppers will overwinter just as well as My Thai's and other chili's do. I still have Santa Fe Grande's, Thai's, and a Cayenne that are producing from last spring. They just keep flowering and making pods so I never chopped them. We've only had I think 4 frosts at my place this year so winter isn't really that harsh.

Ahhh...if only we all had a 50 ft greenhouse. :)

POTAWIE said:

Well my current greenhouse is only about 32 ft:)
Bringing plants indoors by a sunny window for a few weeks works well too

Your gonna enjoy the aji lemons. I had a few very productive plants and really enjoy there taste. Perfect balance of heat AND flavor!

Back