• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Asian dipping sauces. (with picture now)

Looking for recipes that would go well with rice and give me that wonderful burn. I love asian food. Hot Thai is wonderful. I order it super thai spicey. Would like to replicate it at home.

1658441_10201564160254437_2057491079_o_zps4c807b6d.jpg

Here is a pic of my favorite resturant's sauce for the sticky rice.

Thanks,
Rymerpt

This
garlic.jpg

plus this
huy-fong-sriracha-3-pack-300x300.jpg

plus this

kikkoman_soy.jpg

plus this.
334578.jpg

Add whatever additional heat you want. I like to add some habanero flakes to mine.

What Jeff H said...

But you could also add to that mix; cilantro, green onion or shallot, fish sauce, brown sugar for sweetness, rice wine vinegar for acid, hoisin sauce for a little viscosity....

I love making these asian type dipping sauces on the fly with whatever I have around.  I keep a big nub of frozen ginger at all times. Peel the skin off for as much as you need and hit it with a microplane.  

Never enough garlic!!

You could also add citrus zest and/our juice.  I like to use ponzu with is a citrus flavored soy sauce.  It comes in lemon and lime flavors.

The recipes that I found online always said to use anywhere from two to five thai peppers, lime juice, fishsauce, anda little brown sugar. I Went all the way to twelve thai peppers, six habenero peppers, lime juice, fishsauce, and brown sugar. I also added green onion. The heat is getting closer, but the taste is still not like the restuarant. What might I be missing?

Thank for all the input,
Rymerpt

Tonight I messed around and came up with a pretty good one:

I finely chopped some serranos and some green onions. To them I added lime juice, lemon juice, a splash of rice vinegar, a spash of white vinegar, a T of oyster sauce, a T of Hoisen, a T of shirasha paste, a big splash of fish sauce and stired all together. Ate it with pork chops. Awesome! Could have been much hotter, but very tastey.

Rymerpt

Not big into all the preservatives in the first 3 listed.

Asian dipping sauce? How about a peach sauce with rice wine vinegar, chiles, fresh garlic, fresh ginger, agave syrup, and a drop of fish sauce.

Bangin'.

Sounds good. I had peach or plum above but removed plum for simplicity in case he wanted to use those ingredients. And I like peach.

Yeah, duck sauce is peach, plum, or apricot so any fruit sauce with rice wine vinegar, chiles, and garlic is gonna be a gooooood dipping sauce. I like mine with ginger and fish sauce!

I don't use this sauce with rice, just dipping chicken into it though I assume poured over your dish would work also.
my favorite Asian dipping sauce I make is very simple to make ! measurements all depends on the amount you make & your taste, plus I just cook on the fly without care to measurements :lol:
this I've used for 5lbs chicken plain grilled or CI fried (EVOO or grape seed oil)  (seems this sauce tastes best with chicken, though all other will be good too)

onion - 2 large (min)
garlic - ? 4-5 heaping teaspoons ? (prechopped in jar works great too)
CHILES!!!!! - bring it all you can handle, mix and match if you want for heat....serranos, jalapenos, hab's, ghost....what you have and want for heat. I use orange hab's cuz I can get fresh easily and with heat ( I Don't remember the number but I'd have to say over 12 big habs I normally use) & some dashes of bhut or scorpion powder into the sauce

those 3 ingredients cut it all up & split each item in half......half of it stays fresh...the other half gets sautéed (I use grape seed oil, though EVOO or butter works too)

I use those gourmet garden squeeze tubes (in pic above) for
lemongrass - at least 1/4 of tube maybe 1/3
ginger - at least 1/4 of tube maybe 1/3
or more to your taste.

some powder cinnamon

lime juice - about 1/4 cup (roughly to your taste  & amount you make)
soy sauce - about half the bottle
those 2 liquid ammounts depend on the amount that you make, add enough where its not like a soup.....more veggies but you'll still have enough liquid for soaking ingredients & food for dipping.

the half of fresh veggies & other ingredients go in a glass bowl (add only small amount of liquids so you can adjust liquid amount when everything is in the bowl)...sautee the other half of veggies ...then throw into the bowl.....adjust liquid amount (lime & soy)....leave sit for about 1 hour (min 30min) in fridge to allow flavors to blend.
take what you plan to use for that meal right then & microwave that amount.

its a very simple dipping sauce to make & you can tweek it however you like for your taste & how hot you want it. more fresh chiles won't hinder this sauce.

I use Gochujang, apple vinegar , ginger and sesame- for Korean

I like- love soya, methi, vinegar, coriander and ginger for cross blend

I like Thai- priki powder, coriander, rice syrup and apple vinegar, five spice

Back