• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Asian style wing sauce

So here is my standard recipe for Asian style wings that I like to make:

1 part sriracha or hot sauce of your choice (nothing sweet since this also uses honey)
1 part honey
1 part soy sauce
1 part toasted sesame oil
Garnish: chopped chiles, green onion and toasted sesame seeds

Just mix the first 4 ingredients together.  If it's not thick enough you can cook it in a small pan over low heat until it reaches the desired consistency.  Then toss with your freshly fried wings and garnish.

Sometimes I will throw in some peanut butter and/or chopped peanuts too, or I'll add a tbsp of 5 spice powder or some wasabi.

I like the peanut butter idea and sounds really good, but seems like a lot of sesame oil to me.
If you say it's right then it's right.
I gotta try it out.

Yes, Asian wings should be sweet and sticky! Sounds good, but that's a lot of sesame oil. Try to cut down on the oil, and toast some sesame seeds in a pan, and add. Same taste, less oil.

Also, I like a bit more acid (for a tang to cut through the sweetness). A splash of rice wine vinegar should fix.

Toasted sesame is awesome... in moderation as others have said. Throw some fresh ground ginger in there. Maybe some hoisin sauce for flavor and viscosity. I want some asian wings now.

Living in Asia: for Korean- I'd marinate in Soju first, with some Korean Chili powder with some soybean paste (or Gochujang) , honey, minced ginger, minced garlic, sesame oil and at end seeds  for sure,  add spring onions shredded at end. They mince onion and marinate for three days for Kalbi. Some add yogurt to the juices make a sauce.

You could add dried red chili flakes, five spice or star anise and sichuan flower, if you want to go Chinese.

Maybe peanut, coconut, galangal instead of ginger to go Thai-Viet or Cambodian.( i like coriander)

The Hot Pepper said:
Sounds good, but that's a lot of sesame oil.

That is the first thing I thought!  Wow that has to be overpowering.  Sesame oil is such a dominant flavor.  I make a Korean BBQ marinade for short ribs that is heavy on the sesame oil, but that is only a marinade.  I love Asian wings.  Someone make some and post pics.

Haha admittedly I love toasted sesame seed oil and I am kind of a freak when it comes to it.  But everyone seems to like the sauce.  It is pretty strong stuff so you can always cut back on it, maybe try 1/4 part instead of 1 part and go from there.

Toasted sesame seed in place of the toasted sesame oil is good too - if I do this I will use 1/4 or 1/2 part instead.

Bootsieb said:
Living in Asia: for Korean- I'd marinate in Soju first, with some Korean Chili powder with some soybean paste (or Gochujang) , honey, minced ginger, minced garlic, sesame oil and at end seeds  for sure,  add spring onions shredded at end. They mince onion and marinate for three days for Kalbi. Some add yogurt to the juices make a sauce.

You could add dried red chili flakes, five spice or star anise and sichuan flower, if you want to go Chinese.

Maybe peanut, coconut, galangal instead of ginger to go Thai-Viet or Cambodian.( i like coriander)

I'm half Korean and I love gochujang.  I've used that in wing sauce before too, it's killer.  It gives it an earthy "funky" flavor which is really nice.

Back