• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

At what age do you start fertilizing?

After the second true leaf-set you can start fertilizing. Start with 1/4 or 1/2 the recommended dose and gradually shift to the normal feeding dose of that specific fertilizer. If your using organic fertilizers then theres very different methods and varies a lot.

I just repotted my seedlings and i used some potting soil that has slow release fertilizer in it, it doesnt give specifics but says it has enough to last several months. Should i avoid using seaweed fert for a month or so?

LancelBracken said:
I just repotted my seedlings and i used some potting soil that has slow release fertilizer in it, it doesnt give specifics but says it has enough to last several months. Should i avoid using seaweed fert for a month or so?

I suggest you start with it right away, say 1/4 recommended dose first week, 1/2 the week after that, 1/1 the third week and after that just feed when you feel theres a need.

^yup i do exactly that...........1/4 then 1/2 then full dosage ( i even tried going more concentrated, but trust me you don't wanna do that....lol)...

i normally use miracle grow 30-15-30

extremely good results!

not suggesting you do it this way, but I start with the fertilize and superthrive in dilute amounts when the seeds go in the soil...I use the superthrive for the first 30 days then stop...but continue to use my fertilize...I use Botanicare ProGrow...

newhotstuff said:
At what age do you start fertilizing? When or how big do you start fertilizing your seedlings?:hell:

I started fertilizing peppers when I was 42 years old and more than 6' high. ;)

Armadillo said:
I started fertilizing peppers when I was 42 years old and more than 6' high. ;)

roflmao....you kill me 'dillo

I usually wait until plants are about a month old before I add any fertilizers but I usually use promix which has some nutrients in it already

I soak the seeds in superthrive/water solution for 24 hours before planting....works wonders. Then I fert again after the develope their first set of true leaves.

AlabamaJack said:
not suggesting you do it this way, but I start with the fertilize and superthrive in dilute amounts when the seeds go in the soil...I use the superthrive for the first 30 days then stop...but continue to use my fertilize...I use Botanicare ProGrow...

I've been doing a similar thing. Except I've been using diluted fish fert to soak the peat pellets before they go into the mini heated green house deal.

imaguitargod said:
I soak the seeds in superthrive/water solution for 24 hours before planting....works wonders. Then I fert again after the develope their first set of true leaves.

I read to also soak the seeds in water / super thrive before planting. I also include a few drops per gallon of super thrive when I water. I don't use ferts however I do use water that has been treated with c02 and aquasoil and is highly oxygenated. I haven't started giving them any ferts, but I will shortly. My sprouts are only 5 weeks old, but some are already 6" tall and have buds growing on them!!

You probably want to pick off buds and start feeding with sone Nitrogen to encourage growth intead of early flowers, especiall with annuums

Thanks. I was reading the other post about buds, and realized I shouldn't wait until they grow long and should be picking them as soon as possible. I have some nitrogen ferts, but noticed a LOT of leaf curl and really thick bumps between the veins of the leaf. I did some research and it said to add "bone meal"??? Is that the same as a nitrogen based fert or do I need both? I also have these all growing under a 400 watt MH light.

LGHT said:
Thanks. I was reading the other post about buds, and realized I shouldn't wait until they grow long and should be picking them as soon as possible. I have some nitrogen ferts, but noticed a LOT of leaf curl and really thick bumps between the veins of the leaf. I did some research and it said to add "bone meal"??? Is that the same as a nitrogen based fert or do I need both? I also have these all growing under a 400 watt MH light.

Bone meal is providing calcium, give them Lime or Dolomite, I like Dolomite since it's cheap, also contains magnesium and can be found at just about everywhere, even Wal-Mart.

RichardK said:
Bone meal is providing calcium, give them Lime or Dolomite, I like Dolomite since it's cheap, also contains magnesium and can be found at just about everywhere, even Wal-Mart.

If you can't get bone meal for calcium you can use a crushed up Tums diluted in some water. My pop used to do that with his tomato plants and it worked wonderfully.

Sickmont said:
If you can't get bone meal for calcium you can use a crushed up Tums diluted in some water. My pop used to do that with his tomato plants and it worked wonderfully.
Ya, but then the tomatoes won't be as acidic :lol:

Back