• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Ate a tree hab and almost died....

I gave my buddy a few seedlings in spring and it ended up that I gave him a tree hab even though I didn't intentionally plant one. He got his first ripe pod yesterday and since I knew it wasn't a true hab and wouldn't be killer hot so I cut it in half and ate half. Well I almost died. It was quite a bit hotter than a orange hab, fatali and paper lantren. I asked my buddy for some milk and was sweating pretty good and my eye were watering too. I put it on par with at least a Savina. I was just wondering what they are suppose to be scoville wise and why this almost killed me? I learned my lesson though....even though I know a peppers not a chinense, treat it like it will hurt you.

The scoville's (I doubt) won't reveal a bigger number than the Savina, Fatalii, etc, etc. It is most likely to effect you differently than the others. Like a lot of us have experienced, a Jalapeno has the ability to seem hotter than an orange hab. So basically, all peppers have their ups and downs and we can percieve them to be hotter when the actual scoville rating would tell us otherwise.

You may have also gotten an unusually stressed pods that was extra-hot.
Who knows, non-pepperheads are so much better at stressing plants and getting hotter pods than we are :-(

as c.annuum the Habanero Tree or Habanero de Arbol is one of the hottest C.annuum i dont know why its called habanero while its not from c.chinese

Habanero isn't always used for Chinense varieties-Aji Habanero-Baccatum for instance.
It's used to refere to several of the hotter peppers.

I think the Habanero de Arbol is actually a hybrid/cross.
My original plant has pods that have a definate baccatum taste at times and a hint of chinense at other times(especially in 2nd and 3rd generation plants).

I got a red podded one this year straight from the grower-it was supposed to be orange podded.
It resembles Aji Yaquintana but has pointed rather than blunt ended pods.

Some plants put out triangle shaped pods rather than rounded ones that are fatter than the round pods.
The Habanero de Arbol also preferes cooler temps. like a baccatum.

Some say it could be an Annuum X Chinense , Chinense X Baccatum or a Baccatum X Annuum.
Either way my plant is 10+ yrs. old and still going strong.
Makes great rubs and powder mixes.

Almost died and it almost killed you. I believe I would stop eating these things if I were you. I can see the headstone now, Here lies Chillilover, kilt by a hot pepper.

Glad you survived.

Back