• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Attempting to cross pollinate

Hi everyone, this is my first post so go easy on me!

Just wondering if anyone's got any advice etc that might help me. I'm attempting to cross pollinate a chocolate habanero (mother plant) with an aji limon pollen. I've collected loads and loads of pollen from the aji, I've still got more flowers than I can count on my two plants! The habanero has been indoors for the last couple of weeks now and is happily on a windowsill. Loads of flowers growing on that too.

I've watched YouTube vids that say to remove the petals and male parts of a flower just before it opens, leaving just the stigma, which I then place some pollen onto with a fine cotton bud. All good up to this point. Then a couple of days later, without fail, the whole flower including the stem etc falls off. I keep the window shut mostly so it's not too breezy, no animals etc around to knock them off. Never let it dry out but it's never kept too soggy either, soil is usually just damp.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Cheers guys, it's nice to be welcomed to the forum!
I've done some more today, fingers crossed! I'll post if I have any success with it.

Sometimes it takes lots of tries. I was working on some crosses this summer and I had way more fail than take. 

Just keep trying and do as many flowers as possible. 

Welcome. Anywhere between 1/4 and 1/10 seems to be my success rate. I think removing the male parts is the culprit. Take too much, make a tear or hit the the stamen too hard, etc., the flower is dies.

hottoddy said:
Welcome. Anywhere between 1/4 and 1/10 seems to be my success rate. I think removing the male parts is the culprit. Take too much, make a tear or hit the the stamen too hard, etc., the flower is dies.

This, and sometimes it's the pollen. 

of all the different crosses I tried this summer most of the ones that took was with Butch T yellow. I had a carbonero plant that the only pods it set was the crosses i threw at it. Its own pollen must have been sterile. 

Back