free Attention Maryland Hunters**Free**

I'm a Maryland guy, and I seem to be a member of a very small minority here. A little background on me: I'm in my 40's but have been hunting since I was 7 years old. Back when lead was legal and OLT was a big name. I have a 379 acre farm in Dorchester County here in Md, where I have been hunting ducks, geese, whitetail, and sika since Reagan had a pep in his step and Tab was the drink to be seen with. If there are any Maryland guys like me who have an inordinate amount of time on their hands (I hunt 70+ days a year) (...and counting) and would like to get together to bang a few birds, etc sometime....reply or PM me. I want to limit this to people who are seasoned hunters, as I'm not a licensed gun trainer and I don't want to get killed.I just went down to my dock and tested my new waders, and teal start next Friday. If you hunt like me, you'll understand. Michael

Ps ive gotta limit this to guys/gals who have been here longer than a wet weekend...,unless I know your cousin or have heard rumor of you. Doc

I have 6 Texas stands. 5 duck blinds.

I have about 80 acres in soy, rice in one or two ponds, and jap millet around another. We're a rifle country too.

That is one hell of an offer. I am also in my 40's and have been hunting for many years. Hopefully you have a great season.

i always wanted to learn how to hunt... i was raised in the suburbs though.

what does one do to start hunting? i already looked into this hunting safety class thing... but it seems like a non issue, just a few hours and basic gun safety knowledge.

queequeg152 said:
i always wanted to learn how to hunt... i was raised in the suburbs though.what does one do to start hunting? i already looked into this hunting safety class thing... but it seems like a non issue, just a few hours and basic gun safety knowledge.
Regulations vary from state to state. In NY you have to take thise classes before you can get a license.

by non issue i mean its easy to do.

what im asking is like... how do you find a "deer lease" and what does it all cost? what shit should i read so far as like... hunting technique.

and where do i get wolf piss to rub on myself?

im in texas so im guessing there is a bounty of places to hunt so ive got that going for me at least.

You are a very small % among hunters in this day and age. Where I live most try to keep a good thing to themselves and rarely share in an opportunity such as the one you presented. Wish I could participate, but time and space precludes me fromantic doing so. Thanks for the epic offer though.

tctenten said:
That is one hell of an offer. I am also in my 40's and have been hunting for many years. Hopefully you have a great season.
Thanks man. Last year was hell because the birds didn't move down from NY and NJ due to the warmth. Hoping this year is better. Good luck. M

queequeg152 said:

what im asking is like... how do you find a "deer lease" and what does it all cost? what shit should i read so far as like... hunting technique.

im in texas so im guessing there is a bounty of places to hunt so ive got that going for me at least.
https://www2.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/hunt/planning/hunt_lease/listlease.php

Start calling some of the listings in the link above. I'd start w/ the ones closest to Brazos county that do 'day leases'.

If it's determined that you're not 'ready for a lease' these folks may offer you a guided hunt or put you in touch with someone who can.

I was just like you. Raised in the suburbs but always wanted to hunt. Got my first buck when I was in my early 40s.

queequeg152 said:

Hunters safety courses are typically for guys of my vintage and later. Typically if you are in your 50's you can get a license with no class. It's governments idea of a basic introduction. There are some good points covered: like always treat a gun like it's loaded, only point your gun at what you'd like to kill.
You are in a Mecca of hunting. The first thing you need to decide is what kind of hunting do you want to do. There are different game species, and different weapon types. For instance, what do you like to eat? Duck, geese, waterfowl are typically shot with a shotgun. It's probably the easiest weapon to become sufficient on quickly. A cheap, decent shotgun (like a Remington 870 express) is around 300$. You can go to a skeet or trap or sporting clays range and take a lesson, and practice. Shotguns shoot multiple small shot (think BBs) so you have some leeway as far as ability.
Deer and larger game can be shot with a shotgun, but most people opt for a rifle (single projectile), archery (there are 3 different bow types: recurve(old school), compound, and crossbow). Also, there are muzzleloaders, which are guns where you physically load the powder and bullet down the barrel and use a ram rod to seat them.

Point of entry is not just buying a gun (money wise), so don't think it's just buy a gun (unless your brother in law is Willie roberston). there are tons of small expenses; decoys, ammunition, gun cleaning kits, waders, boots, camo...to name a few.

Here in Md the typical deer lease on a 400 acre farm is about 15,000$ for a club. Typically 15 guys. So 1000$ each. You can pick up your local classified mag at the convenience store and find ads for clubs with spots to fill.

It's a hobby that becomes addictive, and you can spend a lot of money depending on how much "bling" you want.

For instance, a mid-range shotgun or rifle can run 2000$ or more, and shells or cartridges can run up to 5$ each depending on which one.

Licenses cost $$, and typically you buy a basic license then add on things like muzzleloader, archery, duck stamps.

If you want any info, PM me and I can give you my phone #. The best thing to do is contact your local skeet range (who typically rent guns and do lessons), and in a few visits you'll be fine. M
CAPCOM said:
You are a very small % among hunters in this day and age. Where I live most try to keep a good thing to themselves and rarely share in an opportunity such as the one you presented. Wish I could participate, but time and space precludes me fromantic doing so. Thanks for the epic offer though.
Truth is: I'm self employed, and go out a lot. And if you hunt you know the same guys tell the same stories over and over...so just thought I'd throw it out there because there aren't too many Delmarva folks running around here. And I like to hear some new stories sometimes. M

queequeg152 said:
i always wanted to learn how to hunt... i was raised in the suburbs though.

what does one do to start hunting? i already looked into this hunting safety class thing... but it seems like a non issue, just a few hours and basic gun safety knowledge.
Once you feel confident with a gun, you can pay to go out with a guide on a guided hunt (typically everything but shells are provided) or join a club.

I actually envy you a bit. Back in the 90's I used to run sea turtle research projects, and at one point I was living on a barrier island off Savannah Ga called Ossabaw. The gov't gave me a 30-06 and a license to shoot feral hogs out of season (they would dig up and eat my turtle nests). I used to sit on a sand dune on the beach and pick them off all day at 200 yards in the salt marsh. Texas is full of them. They're an easy target, terribly destructive animals, and yield a lot of meat. I suggest you look into blasting some of them.

Mr.CtChilihead said:
That is a gracious offer..I get to the range a few times a year haven't hunted in 25 years..
Welcome to THP. You need to get out and go. Just like me and fly fishing. I used to go back in the early 90's. Even went out to Idaho, Colorado and fished all the big name places..Silver Creek, etc. Every year I say I've got to go again. But I live on the Wye River and in the evenings I'll walk down and throw a spinner and catch a few perch or stripers, and keep dropping it on the list. At least you get out sometimes. A lot of the guys I grew up shooting with get out once every 8 years now. Families and obligations...

Back