• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

August 20th National Radio Day...CQ CQ CQ

Radios have always been a part of my(our) life more so as we had no TV,mostly shortwave,many ...listened to the BBC Bonaire etc.
Love turning the dial @noc & picking up distant stations when I was supposed to be sleeping...many times since it was
dark my fingers would turn the volume up & a voice would say "San are you still awake"...my dad,got caught ;)  awake.
..what no earbuds?
I just love  to listen to distant stations...and oh the airwaves boy they were crystal clear @ my location.

Fast forward my love of radio coincidentally is shared by my better half,fascinating..so it was fantastic to share my tales of radio
as a child..as he has his amateur extra class radio license did voice & CW but now only does CW.   di-dah-di-dit..really neat.
AM Radio is a big part of our lives...yes indeed.
FYI:

On May 24th 1844 the first Morse telegram went over the line. Samuel Morse and his colleague Alfred Vail knew that the very first phrase to be sent with the new telecommunication medium was to be remembered. So what should they transmit? Morse came up with a quote from the bible, certainly well chosen for an historic occasion like this:
Bildschirmfoto-2012-05-25-um-10.17.023.jpg

“What God had wrought”

sent by Morse in Washington to Alfred Vail at the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad “outer depot” in Baltimore. The message is a Bible verse from Numbers 23:23, chosen for Morse by Annie Ellsworth, daughter of the Governor of Connecticut. The original paper tape received by Vail in Baltimore is on display in the Library of Congress in Washington, D.C.

IT just so happens that Newington, Connecticut is the home of the ARRL...
Founded in 1914, the American Radio Relay League is the national association for amateur radio in the US. Today, with more than 161,000 members, ARRL is the largest organization of radio amateurs in the United States and the primary source of information about what is going on in the ham radio world. ARRL offers books, news, support, information, special operating events, continuing education classes etc.
SOME radio Facts:..you may have heard of Bose as in Radio.
Sir Jagadish Chandra Bose is known as the father of wireless telecommunication. He had invented the Mercury Coherer, a radio wave receiver that was used by Guglielmo Marconi to build an operational two-way radio. #NationalRadioDay
ECZ6xp5UcAATX2a.jpg
ECVNKMYXkAAJ3m5.jpg

NATIONAL RADIO DAY. Each year on August 20th, National Radio Day recognizes the great invention of the radio.A genius Nikola Tesla This man never really gets the true credit for what he accomplished. Who are your radio Heroes? #NationalRadioDay
ECYsXO-XkAA-bf2.jpg

Wishing everyone a festive #NationalRadioDay - if you're going to drink and listen, please do so responsibly. #SafetyFirst :party:

CaneDog said:
Thanks wiri.  Seeing dates like that is a great reminder of the rapidity of technological development.

Oui Oui..very much so.. radios(tube) are almost obsolete I believe,  but remain collectors items along with the other old stuff.

My hubby has a new transceiver and sings it's praises,oh he loves it... new today is old in a few months. ;)

Not a radio, but brings back sweet memories of my Dad, who always had a couple of junk TVs sitting in the shed out back, as he'd rob tubes from one of them to keep the one we were watching going.  Same for the rototillers and lawnmowers.  The garden shed was jammed with spare parts.  He even rigged a rototiller to run the ice cream churn so us kids wouldn't have to sit and crank it for an hour.  Thanks for the memories.  

nmlarson said:
Not a radio, but brings back sweet memories of my Dad, who always had a couple of junk TVs sitting in the shed out back, as he'd rob tubes from one of them to keep the one we were watching going.  Same for the rototillers and lawnmowers.  

My brain somehow managed to read this as, "Same for the rottweillers and lawnmowers."  I thought, well that's clever, spare parts for the dog!!!

It's sad cw is no longer in active use by any organizations other than amateur radio enthusiasts.  Even the military no longer trains anyone to use morse code, they have fancy new encrypted digital modes that are far superior and proven.  Many (but not all) non-directional airport beacons still transmit airport codes in morse, but to my knowledge pilots don't actually use them.

I do a little cw on the ham bands, and medium wave broadcast band DXing now and then.  It's super fun -- if you can escape from the RFI generated by today's abundance of crappy electronic doodads, that is!

Back