• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Awesome Long Hots

Hi guys,

Lastnight I made some killer long hots. I promise these bad boys are sure to please!! This recipe is from my boy in South Jersey, and might be a local thing I'm not sure. They call them long hots but you might call them something different. They look like this:

nj-long-hots-hybrid.jpg

10-15 Long Hots
1/4lb Proscuitto
1/4lb Sharp Provolone
Olive Oil
Vegetable Oil
Salt
Baking Sheet

Get green long hots, around 6"-8". Cut one side of the pepper lengthways so you can dig out the seeds and form a shell. Put a layer of Proscuitto and SHARP provolone cheese in each, then salt to taste and drizzle extra virgin olive oil inside each pepper.

Get a baking sheet and coat the bottom with vegetable oil. Line the peppers up and bake them around 30 mins at 350F.

The cheese should melt, and the peppers will be soft.

Enjoy and let me know how they turn out!

edit: Just wanted to add that you should wear gloves. Being my first time making them I didn't. My fingers are still burning slightly, from 15 hours ago!

They rather look like hungarian banana peppers... How hot are they?

They sound delicious; very much like baked poppers with ham.

Will have to try that.

T

Well...heat is relative, but I can't eat more than 2 without getting a glass of water and sweating. Some of the individual peppers were hotter than others, could be that I inadvertently left more of the white ribbing inside.

As for what kind they are, the packaging just said "Long Hots" and found them right next to the "Finger Hots" in the local Publix. (I'm in West Palm Beach, FL)

Back