Azomite...Calc deficiency

Because it's difficult to check the pH in the root zone when growing in the ground. Its not that important anyhow unless you are growing in containers or using hydro.

Because the ground will pretty much even out the pH naturally whereas in containers that doesn't happen as well since the amount of soil is limited.
I don't mean you can plant in any ground though and it will take care of itself. You have to start out with soil that is within acceptable levels of pH and then you really don't have to worry about it during the growing season.

Proud Marine Dad said:
How common is calcium deficiency in peppers though?

Very common.
Proud Marine Dad said:
Because the ground will pretty much even out the pH naturally whereas in containers that doesn't happen as well since the amount of soil is limited.
I don't mean you can plant in any ground though and it will take care of itself. You have to start out with soil that is within acceptable levels of pH and then you really don't have to worry about it during the growing season.

If you don't know the pH of your dirt, you are taking a gamble . The plant won't adsorb certain nutrients if the pH is out of whack. regardless of how much you fertilize.
pH_chart.png

True Jeff but it's not that big of a deal. People make more out of it than it needs to be. All plants grow just fine out in the wild without any human intervention whatsoever.

Proud Marine Dad said:
True Jeff but it's not that big of a deal. People make more out of it than it needs to be. All plants grow just fine out in the wild without any human intervention whatsoever.

And women have been giving birth longer than there have been hospitals but the mortality rate was much much higher in both cases. Science gives us ways to fix problems in nature.

I'm not saying pH test every in ground garden, but if you have problems, it is nice to know what to look at first.

as mx5inpa said

dolomite lime is cheap and will give your plant both calcium and magnesium, you can just mix it in with the soil and will keep providing as it decays the whole season vs the liquid cal-mag stuff that you apply like other liquid fertilizer periodically. i've heard approx 1/2 cup per 1 cu ft of soilmix is good.

also you can mix the lime in water if you want to do it just like the liquid stuff instead.

Back