• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

b3rnd 2020

Let's give this another shot. In previous seasons I've always slacked on updating my glog, I'll try to do better this year. I think I've said that before, but that's okay.

So last season I swore to scale down a little. Again. Guess what? I scaled up. Again. Whoops  :rolleyes:

My grow list thus far:

Code:
Chinense
7pot BBG
Chocolate Bhut
Bode Roxa
Fidalgo Roxa
Chocolate Habanero
Evergreen
Fatalii
Habanero Yucatan White
Pimenta Caixo
Madame Jeanette
Pimenta da Neyde

Baccatum
Aji Amarillo
Aji Panca
Duke Aji
Lemon Drop
Trepadeira do Werner
Cream Cheese (found a seed in stuffed peppers from the supermarket and a friend challenged me to grow it, not sure which variety.)

Annuum
Costeño Amarillo
Early Jalapeño
Ethiopian Brown
Fish
Guinidilla
NuMex Piñata
NuMex Lemon Spice
Rooster Spur
Thunder Mountain Longhorn
Peter Pepper

Frutescens
Aji Guaguao
Wild Lombok
Duke Pequin
Cabai Burung Ungu

Wilds
CGN 19198
CAP 1141
C. galapagoense
C. eximium
C. flexuosum
CGN 22084
CAP 501

Hybrids
Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F2
Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F3a
Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F3b
(BS x LD F2B) x Lemon Drop BC1
Aji Amarillo x Lemon Drop F1
Aji Angelo x Cumari Pollux F2
CGN 21500 x Aribibi Gusano F1
Goat's Weed x Aribibi Gusano F1
Goat's Weed x Thunder Mountain Longhorn F1
Thunder Mountain Longhorn x Aribibi Gusano F1
Small Orange Thai x Thunder Mountain Longhorn F1
Aji Omnicolor x CAP 214 F1
Purple Thunder (PaulG)
Trippaul Threat Violet F7 (PaulG)
BBG7 x Tabasco (Nevralex)

Overwinter
CGN 21500
C. chacoense
Cumari Pollux
Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F2b
Chiltepin (bonchi)

I'll be growing out just 2 plants of the majority of these varieties. The exceptions being some of the hybrid lines I'm working on and varieties I tend to eat more of.

I have little under 200 m² of growing space at my allotment. I think I'm going to fit most of this in there. I also have a few m² available at home. Whatever doesn't fit in there will go in pots, the rest I'll just have to give away to friends and family I guess.

This season I wanted to experiment a bit with my germination methods. Previously I'd just stick the seeds in the potting mix, keep them warm and humid, and just wait until they showed themselves. I didn't want to mess around with the fragile seedlings. But the method has a lot of downsides. You never know when or if a seed is going to germinate, sometimes nothing happens and all the time spent waiting is wasted.

I bought some sealable sauce cups and pretreated the seeds in a 2% potassium nitrate solution. I added H2O2 (3%) at a 9:1 ratio to the KNO3 solution. I soaked the seeds for about 24 hours after which I removed the seeds from solution, dried the cups and placed the seeds back on a moist piece of kitchen paper.

The results are very good. C. praetermissum seeds finished the treatment on January 7th and germinated on the 11th. Aji Amarillo seeds finished the treatment on the 11th and germinated on the 14th.

By now most varieties have germinated, except for most wilds and some untreated chinense varieties that I've sown prior to deciding to do a pretreatment. I still have to start all annuums and frutescens, but I'm going to start those in about 2 to 3 weeks I think. Maybe even a bit later.

I'm really looking forward to my Aribibi Gusano hybrids. I also hope the CGN 19189 and C. flexuosum seeds germinate soon, I'm really excited for those. First year of trying to grow the harder to cultivate wild peppers, fingers crossed.

Ps. One of the main reasons I stop updating is a growing frustration of adding pictures to my posts. It's just such a hassle to do it properly. Some tips on that are appreciated!

Another impressive start, Bernd!
Really want to see some pix of that  :lol:

Hoping the Purple Thunder and Trippaul Threat  
do well for you. I hope you'll post some pics to
the community threads for those peppers!

I'm almost certain my c. galapagoense will not
germinate, really old seeds and didn't look good
at all - took them out of old, dried pods. So, I will
be keeping a close eye on yours!

Good luck going forward, my friend. As for the
photo posting issue, I have found the extreme
membership to be worth the few dollars a year
it costs just to avoid those 3rd party hosting issues.

b3rnd said:

So last season I swore to scale down a little. Again. Guess what? I scaled up. Again. Whoops  :rolleyes:    Been there, done that.

Ps. One of the main reasons I stop updating is a growing frustration of adding pictures to my posts. It's just such a hassle to do it properly. Some tips on that are appreciated!  I agree with Paul.  The Extreme makes it easy, though you lose some resolution.  I think it's worth it and the membership specials offered at times make the deal even sweeter.

That's a fantastic looking grow, b3rnd, and you have plenty of space to work with it seems.  I hope you get the picture-loading on an efficient system, because there's a lot you're growing that I'm looking forward to pictures of! 

b3rnd said:

Ps. One of the main reasons I stop updating is a growing frustration of adding pictures to my posts. It's just such a hassle to do it properly. Some tips on that are appreciated!

Me too!

That is one huge list - I hope you have a really good season.

bpiela said:
Those Aribibi Gusano hybrids sound neat!  Looking forward to seeing them on your glog!

Especially curious to see how the CGN21500 x Aribibi cross will look/taste like...

rghm1u20 said:
Ya lil' liar! Scale down? Tell it to my cat!

Wish you a great season. You made me curious about those Aribibi.

lol, show me how to reach your cat and I'll tell him! 

Thanks my friend, I wish you the same.

PaulG said:
Another impressive start, Bernd!
Really want to see some pix of that  :lol:

Hoping the Purple Thunder and Trippaul Threat  
do well for you. I hope you'll post some pics to
the community threads for those peppers!

I'm almost certain my c. galapagoense will not
germinate, really old seeds and didn't look good
at all - took them out of old, dried pods. So, I will
be keeping a close eye on yours!

Good luck going forward, my friend. As for the
photo posting issue, I have found the extreme
membership to be worth the few dollars a year
it costs just to avoid those 3rd party hosting issues.

Thanks, Paul! I've found a way to post some pictures without too much hassle. I'll try out the extreme membership when I have some extra funds.
I'll be sure to post some pictures of the PT and TT in the community threads!

My C. galapagoense still haven't germinated as well. It can take some time though, so I haven't given up hope. I read in another thread on here somewhere it might help to have some fluctuating temperatures within the proper range, instead of a constant temp. I'm trying that right now by taking them off the heating mat at night.

hogleg said:
:lol: @Cream cheese

If you haven't done the Cabai Burung Ungu yet, I think you're gonna find that one pretty exciting. It has Incredible blossoms  :shocked:

Hehe, unfortunately it doesn't seem the seed was viable. I haven't given up quite yet but it's getting less and less probable.

I'm really excited for the Cabai Burung Ungu for sure. I've seen pictures of the blossoms and it's one of the reasons I added it to my list!

CaneDog said:

That's a fantastic looking grow, b3rnd, and you have plenty of space to work with it seems.  I hope you get the picture-loading on an efficient system, because there's a lot you're growing that I'm looking forward to pictures of! 

Thanks, CD! I figured out I can post pictures quite easily through the Tapatalk app. I hate writing long reply's on my phone though, so I'll just have to do it in separate posts until I can afford an extreme membership.

Mitzi said:

Me too!

That is one huge list - I hope you have a really good season.

Thanks, Mitzi! I wish you the same.

bpiela said:
Those Aribibi Gusano hybrids sound neat!  Looking forward to seeing them on your glog!

Thank you! I'll try to keep this glog updated properly when things start taking off for real. But judging by the time between starting this topic and my second post, I might not be doing that great already, lol!

Unfortunately it doesn't seem the Thunder Mountain Longhorn x Aribibi Gusano seeds were viable, so I'll have to re-do that cross again this year.

Bou said:

Especially curious to see how the CGN21500 x Aribibi cross will look/taste like...

Thanks, Bou! I'm also very excited for that cross!

My grow list changes a bit due to some factors like my stupidity and addiction to growing new peppers. I added a few colourful peppers to do some crosses with. Added Aribibi Gusano to re-do the Thunder Mountain Longhorn cross. Added some wilds because I got some bonus seeds in my order from Fatalii. Added some crosses because I love surprises.

Added: 
  • Buena Mulata
  • Bolivian Rainbow
  • NuMex Twilight
  • Bangalore Torpedo
  • Aribibi Gusano
  • Cumari Alongado
  • CAP 214
  • (Small Orange Thai x ? F1) x Aribibi Gusano
  • Small Orange Thai x ? F2
  • Mojo Frutegum F2

Removed:
  • Guindilla (decided to grow next year instead)
  • Early Jalapeño (killed seedlings)
  • Thunder Mountain Longhorn x Aribibi Gusano F1 (seeds inviable)
  • Aji Omnicolor x CAP 214 F1 (seeds inviable)

Also, my Cumari Pollux OW perished. Not sure why.

Some pictures (woo!):

6de829ac0d1ea10760d3606387e3597c.jpg

Capsicum eximium (unknown accession)

ad8ea415dd3241256e2bedddd1b6785a.jpg

Capsicum chacoense CAP 501. Doesn't look like the chacoenses I've grown until now.

07297af1a5050e980fbeb73241d896e7.jpg

Capsicum chacoense CGN 22084

fb5d1137041fe8232e6da6090105e9af.jpg

Capsicum praetermissum CAP 1141

22ec7493acd31593d3f08ebcd316cb80.jpg

(Brazilian Starfish x Lemon Drop F2b) x Lemon Drop BC1

07910634dbcd2bf6647498e97f9eafac.jpg

CGN 21500 x Aribibi Gusano F1

ecc58b782cde55faa42c5475ab2682aa.jpg

Capsicum flexuosum

3df25a44ec3977a45b0d72590848d3ce.jpg

Small Orange Thai x Thunder Mountain Longhorn F1

b44ef0fd6ba60b53aefb763bddac5146.jpg

Goat's Weed x Aribibi Gusano F1

47c7f4ce101a86d10870a43b2ad0ad9e.jpg

Bonus plant of the day: Jaltomata sinuosa

e3ca618d5a4dff21631f01122a79d577.jpg

Group photo of the newest seedlings.

Hey, Bernd! Looking very nice in your neighborhood,
my friend!  I'm a bit jealous of your flexuosom. I hope
you will save me a few seeds in the Fall   ;)

Looks like pretty good germination on the second round
of seeds. You will have a housefull of plants in no time,
for sure!

Nice pix, by the way   :party:

Wow, b3rnd!  Great things happening at your place!   That CAP 501 doesn't look very Chacoense to me either, but the CGN 22084 sure does.  Hopefully the 501 is something cool if it did get hybridized or mixed-up somehow.  Your Eximium, Flex, and CAP 1141 (I really liked the 1141 praetermissum I grew) all look awesome as do the crosses. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of them all!

Yah mon! Loookeen' goud!

I haven't even mapped my grow yet, and I need to start Rocotos yesterday...All I know for sure is that Aji Oros, Rocoto Amarillos and NuMex Big Jims will be getting rows in the 1/2 of an 8th Acre this year. 

What are you, at 50 degrees north latitude? 52? Jeez, I'm at 46 and can't safely plant out til the end of May!

HeatMiser said:
Plants are looking good!

Good luck with your grow

Thanks, HM.

PaulG said:
Hey, Bernd! Looking very nice in your neighborhood,
my friend!  I'm a bit jealous of your flexuosom. I hope
you will save me a few seeds in the Fall   ;)

Looks like pretty good germination on the second round
of seeds. You will have a housefull of plants in no time,
for sure!

Nice pix, by the way   :party:

Thank you friend! Of course I'll save you some seeds of the flexuosum. I hope it does well and gives me a lot of seed stock. I've read it can be picky when it comes to fruit set, specifically fruits with seeds.

Yeah it'll be crowded in no time! I'm not even sure my lamps produce enough light to keep them all happy til plant-out arrives. I might have to scrape together some cash to get another lamp! 

CaneDog said:
Wow, b3rnd!  Great things happening at your place!   That CAP 501 doesn't look very Chacoense to me either, but the CGN 22084 sure does.  Hopefully the 501 is something cool if it did get hybridized or mixed-up somehow.  Your Eximium, Flex, and CAP 1141 (I really liked the 1141 praetermissum I grew) all look awesome as do the crosses. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes of them all!

Thanks, CD! The vendor I got them from (HRseeds) posted a review of the pod on his channel, and even on there the plant doesn't look very chacoense. Whatever it is, I hope it's cool. It definitely looks nice til now. 

Glad you like my wilds. Last year I was glaring at your glog with glee, really loved your wilds. It was one of the reasons I wanted to grow a bunch this year. 

stettoman said:
Yah mon! Loookeen' goud!

I haven't even mapped my grow yet, and I need to start Rocotos yesterday...All I know for sure is that Aji Oros, Rocoto Amarillos and NuMex Big Jims will be getting rows in the 1/2 of an 8th Acre this year. 

What are you, at 50 degrees north latitude? 52? Jeez, I'm at 46 and can't safely plant out til the end of May!

Thanks friend! I can't wait to see your grow take off soon. I'm actually closer to 53 lat. I thank the stars for the Gulf Stream every night. Don't be fooled by our mild winters though; our summers are just as soft.

b3rnd said:

Thanks friend! I can't wait to see your grow take off soon. I'm actually closer to 53 lat. I thank the stars for the Gulf Stream every night. Don't be fooled by our mild winters though; our summers are just as soft.

Always wanted to visit. My son went through your neck of the woods a few years ago with a student group, collecting cheeses, of all things. Best I've ever had!  No Edam, no Gouda, all right from the farms...I had a friend long ago who was a grade school teacher in Amsterdam, told me that the best "Swiss" cheese in the world was a brand called Leerdammer. I'm sure it's available somewhere in the US, but not near where I am. 

Grow on, Bernd! I'm cheering on a great grow for ya!

Back