• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

misc Baby lady bugs?

i found these guys on one of my pepper plants a day or 2 ago, there were all in a clump next to a lattice of white empty eggs. i THINK they are baby ladybugs, just thought id get a few more opinions in case they are not. If they are lady buys ill pop them back on my peppers.

P1000471.JPG

P1000469.JPG

since i found them some have got a lot bigger and changer to a darker color. (look at middle pic, orange guy is how they started, black guy is the bigger ones.)
P1000474.JPG

Jon, thanks for posting, bug identification posts are great to read and see, great learning. I see ladybugs visit my plants every now and then but I’ve never released them, these are in da wild. I have even witnessed them doing the pleasurable deed :) Wish I had taken a pic but gone by time I was back. While I’ve never seen their eggs, I have seen some really small ones and they do not look like the bug/bugs you’ve posted. Personally I’ve never seen that bug and I’d rather not guess but looking forward to the final ID of it.

So far I've googled up every reply and the closest IMO is Jamison's, but I don't know ... good luck :)

Ladybug Pics - larva , and morphing into adults.
The don't go from eggs to ladybugs.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ladybug+larvae&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=X3AjUf_QEuGfiQLHgoD4Ag&ved=0CEAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=653

There are pics also of them in the cacoon like/pupa stage when they go from larva to adults.

I'm pretty sure those aren't ladybugs.

Antenna are way off for ladybug. stinkbugs will have a velvety white egg cluster like a honecomb.

Edit: Japanese beetle Jamison posted has a seperate head,and different antenna. They grow from grubs in the soil.

Yeah, not ladybugs. Here's a link to an image that illustrates their life cycle stages: http://www.emilydamstra.com/portfolio2.php?illid=804

You'll notice the eggs are rather football-shaped (U.S. football....) and they definitely do not come out of the eggs in the shape of adults.

As others have said, definitely without a doubt NOT ladybugs or any other kind of beetle. They are some kind of stinkbug, probably not a predatory kind either. Best to remove them.

Also, not to go off on a tangent, but what many call "Asian Beetles" (I saw them mentioned here) in the midwest U.S. are actually ladybugs too (Harmonia axyridis), just an introduced species with an obnoxious and pugnacious disposition.....still a predator though, despite what all the misinformation out there says.

Stink bug. Kill the shite out of them! Ladybugs have yellow egg clusters.
Glad i didn't leave them on my peppers, the yellow eggs is a good point, the eggs i found were white.
don't know if we have those guys in my area
Jon, thanks for posting, bug identification posts are great to read and see, great learning. I see ladybugs visit my plants every now and then but I’ve never released them, these are in da wild. I have even witnessed them doing the pleasurable deed :) Wish I had taken a pic but gone by time I was back. While I’ve never seen their eggs, I have seen some really small ones and they do not look like the bug/bugs you’ve posted. Personally I’ve never seen that bug and I’d rather not guess but looking forward to the final ID of it.

So far I've googled up every reply and the closest IMO is Jamison's, but I don't know ... good luck :)
don't know if we have those guys

Ladybug Pics - larva , and morphing into adults.
The don't go from eggs to ladybugs.

https://www.google.c...iw=1024&bih=653

There are pics also of them in the cacoon like/pupa stage when they go from larva to adults.

I'm pretty sure those aren't ladybugs.
Don't think i have seen the younger stages, iv only seen adult ladybugs.

Antenna are way off for ladybug. stinkbugs will have a velvety white egg cluster like a honecomb.
yeh, there was a velvety white egg cluster like a honecomb, thinking it might be stink bugs

Yeah, not ladybugs. Here's a link to an image that illustrates their life cycle stages: http://www.emilydams...2.php?illid=804

You'll notice the eggs are rather football-shaped (U.S. football....) and they definitely do not come out of the eggs in the shape of adults.
nice link, yep not ladybugs

As others have said, definitely without a doubt NOT ladybugs or any other kind of beetle. They are some kind of stinkbug, probably not a predatory kind either. Best to remove them.
sure looking that way

thanks for all the reply guys, looks like they are not ladybugs and probably some kind of bad bug. think ill leave them in their container and see what they turn into.

Back