• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bacatum growth rate?

New to growing, and I just want to know how fast these buggers grow compared to chinense. I'm starting my seeds indoor with limited space and I wouldn't want to run out of space due to em growing too fast. So how fast are these compared to chinense?

, Vegas

I tried my hands at (4) Baccatum varieties last year: (3) Lemon Drop, (2) Bishop's Crown, (2) Aji Cito, and an Aji Cristal. They grow a bit faster than Chinense, tending to grow very tall, as opposed to bushing out. However, they do not mature as quickly as Annuums, which is why Annuum is usually recommended for new growers. That being said, last year was my first go from seed as well, and I didn't have any trouble with mine besides a little edema from overwatering, which was not confined to one species.

I "topped" mine, which entails pruning the plant's top off once it hits 6-8 inches in height, to encourage more branching, which leads to a sturdier plant and bigger harvests. Once my summer was over, and I had dried all my Baccatum pods, I had a gallon freezer bag full of dried ripe Lemon Drops and one of unripe, one of Aji Cito, half a one of Aji Cristal, and about 2/3 bag of Bishop's Crown. I also live in Upper Michigan, so my nights tend to be a little bit more on the cool side. You should have no trouble down there in Nevada, as long as you feed them good foods and water them sparingly.

So, in conclusion, you don't need to worry about running out of space compared to Chinense, they don't grow that much faster to worry about it, and it's more a function of tallness versus bushiness, anyway. Grow away, I say!

I tried my hands at (4) Baccatum varieties last year: (3) Lemon Drop, (2) Bishop's Crown, (2) Aji Cito, and an Aji Cristal. They grow a bit faster than Chinense, tending to grow very tall, as opposed to bushing out. However, they do not mature as quickly as Annuums, which is why Annuum is usually recommended for new growers. That being said, last year was my first go from seed as well, and I didn't have any trouble with mine besides a little edema from overwatering, which was not confined to one species.

I "topped" mine, which entails pruning the plant's top off once it hits 6-8 inches in height, to encourage more branching, which leads to a sturdier plant and bigger harvests. Once my summer was over, and I had dried all my Baccatum pods, I had a gallon freezer bag full of dried ripe Lemon Drops and one of unripe, one of Aji Cito, half a one of Aji Cristal, and about 2/3 bag of Bishop's Crown. I also live in Upper Michigan, so my nights tend to be a little bit more on the cool side. You should have no trouble down there in Nevada, as long as you feed them good foods and water them sparingly.

So, in conclusion, you don't need to worry about running out of space compared to Chinense, they don't grow that much faster to worry about it, and it's more a function of tallness versus bushiness, anyway. Grow away, I say!

Nice, that's what I was looking for. I'm about to start my last seeds for the season. My mistake was that I started some Thai hot and a pequin, but the pequin bushed out real nice and has some nice pods already. On the other hand the Thais are growing tall and lanky and they have lots of buds and a few flowers, I can imagine how its gona be in a month or 2. I started those as I didn't have any seeds for other varieties, but now that I'm packed with different varieties just makes me want to chop em or pull em out.

On topic, that was my only concern if they grew as fast so I can ditch em now and start them later. So I guess ima start em all together and be done with it. Thanks

Back