• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Baccatum - but which one??

I bought a pack of Piquante\Pepperdew seeds and grew them... Two of the remaining plants are producing spherical fruit like those in the first picture. One of the plants is producing long fruit like that in the second picture...

Both plants look much the same, and both have Baccatum-type flowers.

Did I get a stray seed in the pack? Or do I have a mutant on my hands??

j90il1.jpg

23hn7yx.jpg

Update on this...

I tried eating one of th unripe pods...

It seemed like it was trying to give and Aji Crystal-type flavour, although it seemed a lot less citrussy, and a more smoother, rounded flavour...

I'm looking forward to seeing the fruit ripen, but the odds are against me... the growing season is pretty much over!!

Finally, a few of the peppers have ripened... they are a very dark yellow, and almost orange colour. Much darker than the Aji Crystal, when yellow. The peppers have some sort of spout at the end.

I'm now thinking this long one might be Aji Amarillo, and the round one a Malawi Piquante, rather than Peppadew\Piquante??

2exbtdy.jpg

23u21yh.jpg

rory said:
The first picture leads me to believe that you have a Brazilian Pumpkin/Starfish crossed with something.

Looks like they won't be what I was sold!! Hopefully I can get some of #1 to ripen, so as I can upload some pics.

At closer inspection, #1 does have the "spout" too.

Back