• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

sun Baccatum sun tolerance?

Im hoping to tap into the collective wisdom here to get the best out of my one Aji Lemon Drop plant. I dont have a lot of experience with baccatums and my prior attempts havent been terribly successful. I only managed to get one viable plant out of my Lemon Drop seeds so I cant experiment.

What do yall find to be the ideal growing conditions for baccatums? Im in central Texas so the blinding sun and high humidity is always a challenge. Most of my peppers go on the southerly side of my yard, and pretty soon under a hefty shade cloth. In that space I have hot spots where only anuums thrive, a solid middle area where most of my chineses do pretty ok, and other spots where I havent gotten anything to produce much (I think from lack of sun). I use a mixture of 20+ gallon pots and 7 gallon grow bags all on drippers, so once I choose a spot its pretty well staying.

Thanks in advance for any advice and happy growing!

I've found they do the best for me if I can get them full sun in the morning and shade by late afternoon. Although they do fine here in NC in full sun most of the summer. Blossom drop is common in the dog days, but that's with all nightshades. I'm sure Texas heat is another monster, though.

PepperFish said:
I've found they do the best for me if I can get them full sun in the morning and shade by late afternoon. Although they do fine here in NC in full sun most of the summer. Blossom drop is common in the dog days, but that's with all nightshades. I'm sure Texas heat is another monster, though.
Hey thanks thats helpful. Id sorta figured they werent suited to full full sun.

Back