• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bacteria and mycos

Are beneficial bacteria and mycos of any benefit to 3 month old plants? Just added some jobes organic ferts with a lot of beneficial bacteria and mycos to my beds.... don't want to be expecting more than is possible from it....

I heard the mykos is supposed to work better when added with a worm tea. The worm tea is supposed to release more of a food web and beneficial bacteria for the Mycos to do its thing.

Actually, there was a thread in the growing section that it was brought up that mycos will unlikely survive the brewing portion of the tea.  It is most effectively used when touched directly to the roots of a plant (putting powder down as you plant the plant or roots dipped in a solution of myco and water).  If that is not an option, then using a root drench would be your other choice.

But yes, it will be a significant help to the microecosystem of your plant.

Thanks....
Plants have been in the ground for abiut 2 months.... no way or not eniugh time to risk exposing roots for the mycos. They were n ixed in with the ferts anyways, so I spread it on the surface and took a stick and broke into the surface of the ground and then watered it in.
I know the ferts will help out, its pretty much the same as another one I used last season but overlooked the fact they had bacteria and stuff added in, and I'm sure they weren't listed....

Mycos applied to the soil surface should at least partially colonize the soil as long as it is kept moist and the temps dont get out of control.... it is not nearly as effective as if it had been tilled into the soil before planting.  When you use mycos... you are innoculating the ground with dorment mycelium of several types of fungi... when the mycelium becomes active, it will spread... colonizing whatever substrate it can get hold of... and feeding the byproducts of that metabolism to your plants in a bartering system.   Same prinicple applies to the beneficial bacteria, nemetodes, and protists one might innoculate the soil with. 

By the way... I just discovered jobe's.  I applied the first dose a few days ago.  I am assuming you also got the "biozome" formula with all of the microorganisms.  I went ahead and applied it to the soil surface in a thin ring around each plant... and then covered it with a thin layer of mulch.  If you have any mulch or compost, it might be a good idea to put a thin layer on top of the jobe's... this will help to get the myc going.. and will prevent all of your varius non-soluable 'meals' from blowing away.

Oh... and about using mycos in compost or worm tea... it can be done... but you are supposed to include something that floats on top of the tea while it is brewing.  This will literally provide a raft for the myc to live on....

Noah Yates said:
Mycos applied to the soil surface should at least partially colonize the soil as long as it is kept moist and the temps dont get out of control.... it is not nearly as effective as if it had been tilled into the soil before planting.  When you use mycos... you are innoculating the ground with dorment mycelium of several types of fungi... when the mycelium becomes active, it will spread... colonizing whatever substrate it can get hold of... and feeding the byproducts of that metabolism to your plants in a bartering system.   Same prinicple applies to the beneficial bacteria, nemetodes, and protists one might innoculate the soil with. 

By the way... I just discovered jobe's.  I applied the first dose a few days ago.  I am assuming you also got the "biozome" formula with all of the microorganisms.  I went ahead and applied it to the soil surface in a thin ring around each plant... and then covered it with a thin layer of mulch.  If you have any mulch or compost, it might be a good idea to put a thin layer on top of the jobe's... this will help to get the myc going.. and will prevent all of your varius non-soluable 'meals' from blowing away.

Oh... and about using mycos in compost or worm tea... it can be done... but you are supposed to include something that floats on top of the tea while it is brewing.  This will literally provide a raft for the myc to live on....
Yeah, thats the one.... its partially covered, I worked eorm castings and gro mulch into the soil before planting and I roughly mixed the jobes into the first two inches or so.... one bed had a layer of mulch that I tried to work the jobes under.... I got it more as a fert ths n because of the organisms, they were a plus.... so far my feedibgs have only been seaweed extract and fish emulsion....

nice... sounds like your plants will be very happy.  You may want to get some potash and epsom salts for supplementation.  When they start setting fruit... they will be using ALOT of phosphate and potassium.  And peppers in general have a hard time getting enough magnesium.

I purchased the jobes because im having a problem with BER... and jobe's has an outstanding calcium content... However, now im not sure if the problem is as much to do with a lack of calcium in the soil as it is an over-abundance of something else... i cant wait to get a soil analysis done in the late fall.

Been doing the epsom salt, as well.... they wiuld be happier if every insect oil spray didnt do damage like they have been....

I gotta check when I get home.... both are for gardening and I know one for sure is organic certified.... no pesticides, the organic one has to be mixed and is an oil, the other is a few oils and is premixed.... I would almost go so far to say both are sticking to new growth and leaf stems that were attacked and is either drawing out water or preventing it from getting through or just frying those areas when the sun hits them....

The mixed one, if I remember right, had thyme, rosemary and a few others.... the other, I don't remember it specifically saying it was neem.... the mixed one didnt cause as much damage ad the other and they only seem to damage the peppers and already damaged tomato leaves.... no damage to the strawberries or basil....
And nothing to the weeds arounf the beds with aphids....
But then again, the weeds elsewhere in the yard havent been phased by the weed killer, either....

Hmmm.. are you sure you mixed to the correct dilution?  and did you do the spraying in full sun? ..... you are supposed to spray in the evening just before the sun goes down...  Also... did you apply the spays within a week of each other or even simultaneosly?

Yeah.... weaker, if anything.... I end up spraying, watering and feeding between right before sundown to as late as 9 pm.... started trying to get it done earlier for that reason and because my fert tank sprayer is annoyingly loud when pumping it to be doing it late at night.... but it seems to always be a decent cloud cover lately before sundown to about 9 am, as well....
No.... picked up the mixed one to use throughout the garden, yard and house.... it was a good teo weeks at least between switching from the single oil to tge premuxed mixed oil....

kk... hmmm
i dont know wahts up with that.... ive never had problems with neem seed oil... which is what ill bet you have.  You say you ferted whn you applied the oil... could you have nute burned?... Im just trying to use the socratic method to get to the bottom of this.

Noah Yates said:
kk... hmmm
i dont know wahts up with that.... ive never had problems with neem seed oil... which is what ill bet you have.  You say you ferted whn you applied the oil... could you have nute burned?... Im just trying to use the socratic method to get to the bottom of this.
No, sorry that wasnt clear.... I do everything in the same time window, not all at the same time.... and isn't it pretty much impossible to burn with seaweed extract and fish emulsion?
20130814_120727.jpg

20130814_120707.jpg

My only other thought is that I didnt shake well enough so the oil is concentrated in some areas and not enough in others....

megahot said:
I heard the mykos is supposed to work better when added with a worm tea. The worm tea is supposed to release more of a food web and beneficial bacteria for the Mycos to do its thing.
i have had amazing results with it my tea brewing this summer.  The roots will soak it up upon feeding.  Try using azos powder too.  Amazing stuff.

Back