• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bacterial Leaf Spot question

Hey all,

I have about 150 potted plants this year and about 30 of them have bacterial leaf spot due to high rains and high humidity. It hasn't overtaken the plants yet but I keep having to prune newly infected leaves each day. I have separated the 30 plants from the rest and most of the infected plants are quarantined together.

Do you all find that BLS eventually "works itself out" so to say? I am planning to use peroxide and copper on the plants but am scared that I will hurt them. Part of me just wants to let the plants work themselves out, but is this foolish?

My understanding is that there’s no real treatment for leaf spot once it sets hold. I had a single plant come down with it this year and ended up pulling it out because I didn’t want to risk spreading it to the rest of the garden.

A lot of people think they have a problem with BLS, when in fact, it's something completely not BLS. 
Can you post a pic or two?

I've found that plants with dark green leaves from plenty of nitrogen in the soil seem immune to BLS, so the best cure being prevention, I try to always ensure that my soil is very rich before plant out time, and my transplants have plenty of N2 in their soil as well. If, for reasons beyond my control, such as incessant rain, my plants catch BLS anyway, as yours seem to have, I bring out the liquid copper and apply at 4 tsp. per gallon. Bear in mind that copper doesn't so much kill the fungus as it prevents it from growing, so the idea is to get the plants as healthy as possible, by whatever means, such as heavy fertilization and cutting back on watering, while staving off further infection by regular applications of copper.

If, however, as happened me this spring, it never seems to stop raining long enough for the plants to get ahead of the BLS spreading, it can seem fairly hopeless. My plants lost a lot of lower leaves, but every time it rained I sprayed them with copper again, and by the time they finally began to green up the rain had stopped....

windchicken said:
I've found that plants with dark green leaves from plenty of nitrogen in the soil seem immune to BLS, so the best cure being prevention,
I think you have the right idea, even if it's not necessarily the right conclusion.
Nitrogen alone, isn't going to inhibit.  But too often, we have people who believe that nitrogen isn't as important as it really is.  In healthy soil, nitrogen is sequestered, and we may not need as much, in proportion.  But the bigger concept here, is that dark green plants, are healthy growing plants.  And a plant that is growing well, is ALWAYS going to have a better chance to stave off any kind of infection, provided that it isn't endemic to the particular plant.  So I'll conditionally second your notion.  But let's just say that a plant that is growing well, is going to be far more resistant to any kind of plague or pestilence.

Back