• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bad Pepper Year This Year.....

Oh well, as the title says.  I had started my seeds early January this year, zone 3, indoors in a south facing window, without grow lights.  So, my plants started off really well, then I had to top them due to planting too much and the space I had available was not enough for what I started.  My bad.  Then when time allowed me to put them in the garage and start to harden off, I had accidentely left them outside overnight to a frost!  So I never actually lost any officially, but I shortly after planted in my garden.  It appears that they are growing very slowly and have small leaves.  I have a couple flowers on a couple of plants in my raised bed as well as 2-3 small pods.  But compared to last year, I have nothing so far.  The ones planted directly in my garden are still alive but not doing much.  I hope that they are setting their roots, but hope that they will soon shoot up on top.  Aside, I have been really busy this year and do not have the time to dedicate nearly as much time on here.  So I am glad I found a few moments to say hi, let you all know I am still around, and have not forgotten about this awesome place I found here with great reading and friends that share the same hobby.  Anyways, gotta run for now, but will keep in touch whenever possible, and do hope to have a better year next year.  I said it before, but I am getting a light set-up this winter and will do it all again.  Only thing is I will probably scale it back a bit.

i have 23 scotch bonnet plants(3 varieties) that are doing just as bad, lost most of their leaves and are now starting to bounce back. I should be loaded with pods at end of summer.

I'm having the same issue with mine. I planted outdoors at the end of May, the following day it snowed on them (ugh), they lost their leaves but didn't die. They are now growing back with pathetic little leaves. There are a couple flowers on some and the odd pod. I'm crossing my fingers that they bounce back enough to give me something nice before frost hits!

And another one here.

I did sow too many so just as well that I needed the seedlings to "step up" as the older ones are killed by the cold nights (and my inexperience!).

My annums are over 2 months behind, and my chinenses are only just starting to bud. They are sqoat because they were grown indoors with long hours of light, but even now they are stubby as if they were meant to be that way.

Now that Summer Solstice has passed, I am not holding my breath.

I started mine in March and then it got cold in may and my plants died off. Luckily the local greenhouse had plants I could buy for the garden and I've stayed new seeds for indoor growing, but now it's supposed to go into the low 50s again at night. I hope my Trinidads survive. Would plastic bagging them at night help?

I started mine in March and then it got cold in may and my plants died off. Luckily the local greenhouse had plants I could buy for the garden and I've stayed new seeds for indoor growing, but now it's supposed to go into the low 50s again at night. I hope my Trinidads survive. Would plastic bagging them at night help?

Plants are amazing in their ability to recover from injury.   I had a tomato plant snap in half last year from the weight of it's fruit.  It put out new growth and survived until the first frost.   Have faith.  too late to turn back now

The wind knocked a 14" butch to off a table mid April, it broke off 4" above the soil and had one puny leaf. Now the plant is as big as the other plants with hundreds of flowers and dozens of pods. Mind you these are container plants , but depending on how your soil is they should start to recover they might not produce as much due to short season but they should recover.

Well, they are still living and surviving.  They are growing too, just slower than last year.  My fingers are crossed, and will definitely leave them out there till the bitter end.  Also, they have those tiny little leaves growing everywhere, as was posted by jacqui276 earlier.  I will keep updating as time will permit me to and also if there is a change in grow habits.

Back