• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Bad year :(

HellfireFarm

eXtreme Business
Last year had some issues with anthracnose setting in, but this year everything is worse.

First, I moved the field and planted in a different area, but something like 95% of my starters failed after transplant. I can't think of anything I did differently than all previous years except maybe planted out a couple weeks later. But within a week everything was gone. Best I can think of is that I got 3 days of heavy rain after planting and maybe they just drowned?

The melon in the same field was doing perfectly fine last Wednesday. Friday, it was shriveled up looking like it had been dead for a week.

12 days later, the cayennes that I planted in the field, to try to save something - none have peeked through at all. I planted about 150 seeds.

The tomatoes in the garden beds, which I rotate regularly and didn't have issues last year, picked up early blight. Early Girls first - they're all but gone. The grape tomato variety next to them is starting do fade, and the Beefmaster's clear on the other side are starting to show blight.

And the peppers in the garden beds are showing anthracnose lesions.

I'm not sure what's left to do. Whatever's going on, it seems systemic in my area, whether its soil or airborne, or something else. The fungicide treatments don't seem to be helping (and I researched exactly which to use). I'm getting worried that my field and garden are no longer able to sustain what I grow, and I'm not sure what to change to fix it.

Its becoming rather depressing :(

Last year had some issues with anthracnose setting in, but this year everything is worse.

First, I moved the field and planted in a different area, but something like 95% of my starters failed after transplant. I can't think of anything I did differently than all previous years except maybe planted out a couple weeks later. But within a week everything was gone. Best I can think of is that I got 3 days of heavy rain after planting and maybe they just drowned?

The melon in the same field was doing perfectly fine last Wednesday. Friday, it was shriveled up looking like it had been dead for a week.

12 days later, the cayennes that I planted in the field, to try to save something - none have peeked through at all. I planted about 150 seeds.

The tomatoes in the garden beds, which I rotate regularly and didn't have issues last year, picked up early blight. Early Girls first - they're all but gone. The grape tomato variety next to them is starting do fade, and the Beefmaster's clear on the other side are starting to show blight.

And the peppers in the garden beds are showing anthracnose lesions.

I'm not sure what's left to do. Whatever's going on, it seems systemic in my area, whether its soil or airborne, or something else. The fungicide treatments don't seem to be helping (and I researched exactly which to use). I'm getting worried that my field and garden are no longer able to sustain what I grow, and I'm not sure what to change to fix it.

Its becoming rather depressing :(

Your problem sounds very much like the problem I have with the soil on my property. Root knot nematodes, these are very bad and virtually no way to completely eradicate them, but they can be somewhat controlled by planting a cover crop of mustard and turning the greens into the soil. I am trying this process right now. They even got into my container soil when the plant roots grew through the container drain holes into the native soil.

Check the roots of a plant that has been growing awhile. If you see nodules on the roots you have a problem. For me, the tomatoes seem most susceptable to the problem, but it is nearly as bad with the peppers. You can also have the soil professionally tested. I have tried an organic mematicide and although it worked it was VERY expensive.

I feel for you. It's shit to hear a commercial cropper suffering these blows. I almost stopped growing and actually gave up on my sauce biz dreams because of what I thought was anthracnose.
Turns out it was broad mites. Yip. Broad mites. I was given a discontinued (in South Africa) miticide (I don't recall the name - I'll ask my brother - he still has a stash)and lo and behold. Problem solved.

Yeah, I know the folk at the extension - that's on my todo list. I was thinking of getting a comprehensive soil test, not just the regular annual one.
Your problem sounds very much like the problem I have with the soil on my property. Root knot nematodes, these are very bad and virtually no way to completely eradicate them, but they can be somewhat controlled by planting a cover crop of mustard and turning the greens into the soil. I am trying this process right now. They even got into my container soil when the plant roots grew through the container drain holes into the native soil.
Only cover crop I've done is clover, and I haven't been able to get rid of it since!
Check the roots of a plant that has been growing awhile. If you see nodules on the roots you have a problem. For me, the tomatoes seem most susceptable to the problem, but it is nearly as bad with the peppers. You can also have the soil professionally tested. I have tried an organic mematicide and although it worked it was VERY expensive.
One thing to look for!
Ok report back: active ingredient is Abamectin.
Nukes them!
And another thing to look for!

BTW, it's available at domyown.com

Back