• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

soil Bag soil

Trying to figure out if there's a bagged soil that would be right for peppers. I know many mix their own but is there a "happy" medium with mulch, compost and the required potassium that one can buy ?

I'm on the cheap and get a 2.2 ft^3 of peat moss mixed in with a smaller bag of pearlite, bonemeal, and epsom salt. Lots of bang for your buck and my peppers are looking pretty good!

Im currently using 4gal white buckets... As they say white stays cooler during the heat... Black pots or buckets tend to get way to hot. With super hot pots, youll risk killin your roots... Just my .2 cents

Depends on what you want in the soil... So far MG is doing just fine but for someone else it might not work for them... A friend of mine from work is also growing some super hots as well but hes using Fox Farm and is having some issues with his plants......This is just an experiment with the white buckets, ive always had great success with my plants being in the ground.....

this is a controversial topic lol...

I dont like Miracle grow because they have "time release" newts. Chemicals bad, Nature good.

If I had the money I would buy Foxfarm Ocean Forest, but I am broke this year.

Try am mix of
Compost
Cheap potting soil (organic) Fixed sorry
Perlite
and some native soil to help introduce native beneficial microbes

Amend with Worm Tea every month or two.

If you aren't in to organic, maybe look in to it a bit further.

MG in 5gal buckets sounds good. Just the MG or modified ?
Just miracle potting mix,

this is a controversial topic lol...

I dont like Miracle grow because they have "time release" newts. Chemicals bad, Nature good.

If I had the money I would buy Foxfarm Ocean Forest, but I am broke this year.

Try am mix of
Compost
Cheap top soil (organic)
Perlite
and some native soil to help introduce native beneficial microbes

Amend with Worm Tea every month or two.

If you aren't in to organic, maybe look in to it a bit further.

time release fertilizer are not "bad". i would never topsoil in conainers.

May be helpful to look at this.
I know Here I am Quoting Guru's 2011 Glog again. Im starting to sound like a Fan boy, but the proof is in the peppers that he grows.(organically)

Well here it is...

http://thehotpepper....r +old +mothers
Since I took cuttings today, I figured why not go ahead and share a great soil mix I like to use as well as give a small pictorial on taking cuttings from pepper mothers.

Anyone can make this soil and its much cheaper to make than buying pro mix or any other brand name mediums. Its light and airy so roots can ROCKET through it. This mix can be used for starting seed and propagating cuttings, as it is very conservative in the nutrient department.

If I'm using a standard 5 gallon bucket, the ratios are as follows:
First I start with 2 shovel fulls of native garden soil (from where the plants will be going)
5809228316_c5597802f9.jpg

Then 2 shovel fulls of peat.
5808664647_439e6edf02.jpg

1 Shovel full of Vermiculite
5809222828_5d88047188.jpg

2 Shovel Fulls of Perlite (don't be stingy with this stuff, its great)
5808659519_ce7239a55d.jpg

Then some Mychoraeze innoculant (great for helping roots "eat" more)
5808659817_863edec31c.jpg

Then a small amount of a light N source( i used Kelp here, but worm castings is a great alternative)
5809223678_d6c68889ac.jpg

Mix really well with your hands and you will end up with a great soil mix tailored for these types of applications. It should look something like this beauty here.
5808660389_b8f48f3cb4.jpg

Cutting pictorial cont on next post...

You can pretty much use any type of soil as long as it has good drainage, aeration, and retains moisture and nutrients to a certain degree.

Price is a factor when considering which type of medium to use. It's a personal choice when it comes to soil, nutrients, lighing, time, etc. The end goal is that everyone wants to have the best plants as possible and that is not an unreasonable expectation, but consider that climate location, budgets, and time will effect how your plants will perform. You will get many different opinions because it works for them, but will it work for you? Will it work for your budget? Time?

Growing peppers or anything else is pretty simple when you break it down to its simplest form. Give them more of what they're missing and you remove that limit from their fullest potential.

There are a lot of good suggestions here about soil. So experiment with a small amount of the suggestions here and see for yourself which soil type performs for you. If they perform to your expectations you can do a cost/benefit analysis and see which one will work for you in the long run.

May I also suggest trying a small bag of an orchid type soil. I like the good drainage with a small amount of peat for moisture retainment. It's always fun to experiment and end up seeing great results.

Good luck with your soil and wishing your peppers grow big and strong with heavy yields!

-Alex

That little bit of garden soil is ok. But clay is not the best to use in a container.

I just think mg soil is a really easy choice.

Nothing wrong with Miracle Gro, been producing vegetables for year. Just popular to be anti MG on here.

Organic is good, some people have fantastic results, everybody just tries to imitate those folks, but you do not see the same results for the imitators. Being a good grower requires some time and understanding, not just following a tutorial you see on a forum, without any understanding.

Back