• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bagging Aleppo/Halaby Blooms

Hello everyone, I see a few names from Gardenweb. Well I finally made the leap over here!

I have an Aleppo Pepper that I got for awkwardly expensive from a high-brow nursery near by.
After reading up I am excited to see how they turn out, the owner/operator swears he has an authentic source.
If anyone has pictures of pods they have grown I would be grateful to have them for reference.

I was wondering about bagging blooms. Is it absolutely necessary if I have multiple other hot peppers near by? How effective is it?

Also wondering if a lot of people would be interested in seed trades for this type (C. annumm, Aleppo AKA Halaby).
I probably only want to go to the trouble of bagging or separating the plant if it is desirable to trade for other varieties
to grow next year. I have some other peppers that might be better options in that regard.

Thanks much!
-Phil

you are asking the question:

"Is it absolutely necessary if" ?

the answer is if you want to be reasonably sure of preventing cross pollination,
it is one fairly effective methodology. there are many ways to isolate for pure seed
the most best for your situations needs to be reasoned and applied by you

i think if you are going to sell the seeds or seedlings it is in your best interest to
only offer isolated varieties so you do not get unwanted crosses in your customers grows

(all of) the flea bay sellers have a bad reputation here for (because of a few) not providing the strain offered

if you are just out to make a quick buck please try to do it somewhere else

Thanks nitwit, I should have clarified. I only intend to trade seeds for other varieties I want to grow. No intention of selling anything.

I guess I am asking the best way to prevent cross pollination so that I can offer reliable seeds to trade with.

bags sound great then see "mich the swiss chilimad"
he posts here often and has cool pics
and isolates over twenty something varieties :dance:
link:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19652-mich-2011/page__st__180
good growing

edited for link to mich's grow

The Aleppo/Halaby is almost impossible to find outside of Syria. SO if you want to trade, yes isolate the blooms. If you want to continue to propogate that particular species from seed, isolate the blooms.

I like to trade for isolated seeds.

i first read about the aleppo, here on this forum and have been looking locally for it and haven't found any.
you can do a forum search and you will get a few archives posts on the pepper.
i think thechiliwoman may have them.

Glad to hear some good feedback, I did not have space left for all of the varieties this nursery had. I wish I had discovered them sooner,
regardless I chose Aleppo as one of the few that I did pick up. It is growing very nicely in a 3 gallon pot, I am considering giving it a 5 gallon bucket.

I will look into bloom bags and keep track of my progress so that people can trade if they feel confident the seeds will be true.

I am wondering how these peppers will be fresh and if I should intend to dry them, which I have never messed with.

-Phil

Tonyscoots, I can certainly take some pictures soon, but it is still sorta small and unimpressive, I will wait until it has a flower or two hehe.

Back