Ballast Point Pale Ale with Serrano

Anyone else tried it?

A buddy of mine imports a load of different craft from the states to Japan - in perfect condition too, I've had alot of crappy imports, but he doesn't let beer get above 3 degrees c from brewery to pub. So the flavour is perfect.
I got to try this a few nights ago in yokohama when they had an opening party for their new shop.

I generally don't like chilli beer, but ballast point have made a good job of this! Their habanero Sculpin was even better though...

Little bit of heat, great pepper flavour (although serrano isn't my favourite pepper). Definitely worth a go!

qXEtNgt.jpg

chili beer huh? looks really good and well made. wish i could try this.

is the lack of a head intentional?

Might have to try this even though every chili beer I've tried was not very good except a habanero beer I had on tap at Steamworks Brewery in Durango Colorado. I've only had one beer from Ballast Point (Sculpin IPA) but it was one of the best IPA's I've had. Those that disappointed me were Twisted Pine's Billie's Chilis & Ghost Face Killah, Stone Smoked Porter with Chipotle, Rogue Chipotle Ale, Rio Grande Chile Cerveza.

Stone smoked porter with chipotle is rubbish. Where's the smoke? And where's the chipotle!?

Ballast point are great. A few of the brewers came over to Japan last summer. Nice guys!

Stone smoked porter with chipotle is rubbish. Where's the smoke? And where's the chipotle!?

Ballast point are great. A few of the brewers came over to Japan last summer. Nice guys!

I love Stone Smoked Porter, and the Smoked w/Vanilla Bean but the Chipotle version was boring. At least the vanilla tastes like there's vanilla. I could hardly detect any chipotle in the chipotle version at all, but that might be because I gargle fire more frequently than most people.

And yes, it's not smoky but I still always enjoy it.

And since you're in Japan, try some Hitachino brewing stuff if you can. The Espresso Stout is pretty good.

Wish I worked at a brewery. We just homebrew but enjoy it. If you're ever really looking for smoke, I've had Olvisholt Lava and Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier Marzen and both were like drinking a BBQ sandwich. :P

Back