• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

pest Banded Wing Whitefly

Not even my birthday! :woohoo:
20220915_134305.jpg

Despite them heavily infesting this Abutilon theophrasti, and small satellite populations of them on every other one of the A. theophrasti in the yard, I have found no trace of them on either Capsicum or Solanum species in the yard.. Not for a lack of searching.
:eh::think:
I also haven't found them on the Flowering Maple(Abutilon) or the other mallows in the yard either.. Maybe they just really like the Velvetleaf?
Orius really likes them, that much checks out.
20220916_134857.jpg

Why so sad? I bring glad tidings! Should I be scared?
The Orius are very aware of these little guys, and I might just let them handle this and see what happens.. For Science!!
It seems like my overwintering some Orius is really paying off, because I've never had so many in the yard as we do this year. Even been bit a few times!
20220918_111445.jpg
Really hoping to see some of the parasitic wasps that prey on these Whiteflies. These are on the Abutilon overhanging my little pots on the table.. Plenty of whitefly on them, but none on the peppers or tomatoes. You can believe the first larvae I see on the peppers will also be the moment before I move the whole table.

Last edited:
Back