• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bangers 2011

Hey all, howdy from Brisbane. First time growing chillis and first time posting, however I've been eagerly reading through the vast information on this site and would like to thank everyone for contributing to my so far successful chilli growing aspirations :woohoo:

I decided to take it slow for my first attempt and bought some seeds from The Chilli Seed Bank. I had no idea at the time (hadn't found this forum yet), whether these guys were reputable or not but so far all the seeds seems true to form and I've had very good germination rates. Thanks to those guys :cheers: Anyway, I got myself one of the Yates mini greenhouses and put in Fatalii, Big Jim, Ancho, Firecracker Pequin and Penis Peppers. Not the most exciting grow list but I was trying to go for some sort of variety and also cater to my family who have varying respects for peppers and their mouth-burning abilities. Soon after I encountered my first hurdle. Warmth. I had no place inside that could hold a steady suitable temp. At the time it was late winter here and while I had plenty of sun during the day to put the greenhouse in, it was still pretty chilly at night. Suffice to say, one month on I had 2 fatalii seedlings and zip from the rest of them :cry: -Enter THP forums- Got myself a 2 foot fluoro, some rockwool cubes and a heat mat and I was off to the races.

2011-10-11085422.jpg

2011-11-05153731.jpg

This is where they're at as of yesterday. The three taller ones at the back are Fatalii's. Do they seem kinda leggy or is that normal? The others are all a bit more leafy and have slightly thicker stems despite not being so tall.

2011-11-03082047.jpg

Fatalii's in question

So like many a first time grower I couldn't help myself and whilst the seeds were germinating I picked up a couple of nursery chilli's. Kinda glad I did because they have taught me many a thing about chilli's, particularly how much heat their roots can take. As you can see in the next pic I naively had them sitting in a lovely sheltered spot out of the wind but on hot sandstone tiles! :rolleyes:

2011-10-11085558.jpg

There was leaf curl and pod dropping as a result mainly and it took me a couple of weeks of drowning them with water before I realised what the problem was. Again, thanks THP. So I moved them to a spot sitting on soil and out of the hot afternoon sun. Things are back on track now and I'm better armed for when my chilli children move into the garden. Nursery chilli's below...

2011-11-05143959.jpg

Jalapeno

2011-11-05143940.jpg

Yellow Hotwax

2011-11-05143926.jpg

Not actually sure about this one. Some kind of Cayenne?

2011-11-05143908.jpg

The pride of my garden currently Red Habanero pods

I'll put some more pics up when the 'from seed' plants start producing. Again, thanks all for the information and sharing your grows :)

They look good to me, I vistied Brisbane few years backed and loved it,cant wait to go back one day. Got family friends in Geelong.

thehippseedcompay.com is a good seed bank there .au, i ordered from them and they ship here to the us.

:welcome: Bangers!

Lookin' good. :cool:

Yeah, I learned the hard way too last season that chillies don't like their roots all hot and stuff. Good to hear that they've bounced back!

Back