• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

BC's Dundicut

you don't often see much on the dundicut, ya, you know all the "same ole, same ole". national pepper of pakistan, the scotch bonnet of pakistan, that kind of stuff.

i can purchase the dried pods at a local east indian store, they usually come in a small plastic bag and have the words "dried chili from pakistan" hand written in black marker on the bag, so you know the importer gets a monster box, hand bags them, then distributs them out to retailers that carry this product.

here is what was produced from the seeds, from the dried bag of pods that i purchased last year. the thing is packed wall to wall with seeds, the entire placenta is thick and attached are many, many seeds filling the entire pod. i can see why they are generally used dried because deseeding would be a nightmare to feed the large population of pakistan(perhaps that's why the export them!). In deseeding, it coughed up about 70 seeds.

As for flavour of the fresh pod, it tasted like a mild pungent ceyenne but had a bitter tone, that might be because of my cold growing conditions. heat value was like that of a low quality ceyenne. so if you could imagine a ceyenne with say a heat value of 30,000SHU, this would be about 15,000 - 20,000SHU.

don't buy into the scotch bonnet of pakistan, it tastes nothing like a chinense and is fully flavoured in the annuum tradition!

the plant itself grows tall like a ceyenne, its flowers are large, white, with that umbrella shape but a really nice creamy white. all the pods are consistent in size and shape turning from dark green like a bell pepper then migrates gracefully to the dull red colour. so, again much like a ceyenne as to compare the bright, glossy shine of a goatsweed.

i am guessing even pickling this pepper would be a challenge due to the lack of space in the pod, i guess one could try to slice slots along the sides of the pepper, then vinegar fill a jar. but they are nothing like a hot cherry pepper, though it too has a large volume of seeds, at least the cherry pod has some space for the vinegar to leech into.

well, i have 5 plants, they grow like weeds, think that's what i will do, pickle what i have when they ripen and give the plants away to my pakistani neighbours - i really need the growing room for other pepper types for my 2012 grow list.

hope you enjoyed the read and the picture. oh, i included the canadian and american 1 cent and 5 cent piece. if anyone knows Barack Obama's email address, i hear he is looking for a couple of trillions of dollars or so, well it appears he can find bucket loads in Canada as half of my change jars appear to be filled with US currency!

P1000291.jpg

I think if you tried hard you could probably get another seed or two in there. Interesting post BC thanks.

Hope you don't mind, cayenne is spelled with an a, not three e's.

Hope you don't mind, cayenne is spelled with an a, not three e's.

not at all Patrick, you would think i would know better with g6csy up on my screen to make sure i had the scoville units correct, but i am sporting a bit of a cold with my little pollutants bringing every disease known to mankind home and holding a bottle of NyQuil in the other. Thank God for NyQuil, it is truely the juice of the Gods for those sporting a cold/fever. Keep up your good work! Like i mentioned earlier, there are so many pepper varieties and it seems the focus is on the superhotties, yes, i have them growing, but on this forum, i think posting on the not so popular varieties has its place for our readers.

LOL my pequins are like that but smaller, kinda like lave M&M's..

ouch Tupper, i have 3 pequins plants on the go, damn, is that what i have to look forward to! Actually, i have 2 in soil and the other in hydro. i just filled the hydro plant with pea gravel and literally over night the little sucker shot up a 1/4". i am experimenting with the "air on root" thing with the soiled plants, they are in coir baskets, one is really liking it, the other is just goofing off.

thank you for reading the post, i hope all found it of some interest.

The Dundecutt is another of the peppers I have abused this year and it has put out lots of squat acorn shaped pods. It is going to be a keeper also.

Back