• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Be wary of Amazon Marketplace Sellers selling as "New"

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
When you buy from the amazon marketplace, and you are trying to save $20 instead of buying directly thru amazon or a reputable seller on amazon, be wary.

I'l just give you one example:

Bought a Kohler faucet for pretty cheap marked as NEW.

On the Kohler site it says this faucet model was made exclusively for Costco. So I wondered how these sellers had it.

I called Kohler and they will not warranty a faucet bought from the marketplace unless it is from 2 of their authorized dealers. There were about ten and none were them (because it's only at Costco!).

I contacted the dealer and asked if it was open box. He replied "some are open box yes." Hmm okay so I asked again, and asked if MINE was. His reply this time was "All of them are open box." LOL! Okayyyy. I canceled it in time and reported the seller. What this means is, you are getting a faucet that was returned to Costco, and resold as NEW. And who knows if the person opened it, used it, or even returned it broken.

I can tell you the reason this happens. Amazon only has a few selling conditions. You can sell as NEW, or USED and list the used condition. These sellers don't like using the word used when it's open box. So beware.

I happily bought one at HD (different model) and registered the warranty, and even used a coupon, so all's well ends well.

This exact thing happened to us this summer, except at a Lowes box store.

Wife bought a Moen bathroom faucet last May, one of a set of 3 (I remodelled 3 bathrooms this year), I got to the last faucet two weeks ago: opened the box and a pile of plumbers putty smeared junk fell out. No paperwork, nothin.

I called Lowes corporate, they said to take it back and pitch a fit. It is not their policy to restock returned items "uninspected"...

...yeah right. Moen was even more helpful (*sarc*)

Check the packaging, folks. Can't trust anyone these days.

Back