• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense BeagleStorm and Ronnie vs. The Trinidad Scorpion Chile

Quick Take:

Thanks Silver Surfer peppers came through perfect!

This was not as hot as the 7's or Douglah or even the Chocolate Bhut we had a few days ago.. Still have two other varieties of Scorpion to try from SS. I think these having matured in the cooler temps affected their heat. Not that hot. Ronnie is stoked for either the BrianStrain or Butch T tomorrow what do you all think? Which one do you want him to try. Going to push him to do a whole half. None of this quarter stuff anymore.
------
Got Ronnie nice and psyched for this pepper. Judy’s scorpions were not mind blowing hot so I was not as worried as Ron was. He said he was very nervous. Pepper looked nice with a great deep red color. They felt very juicy and had a nice smooth shiny skin. Sliced open there was no rush of odor. Up close the aroma was more chemical than Judy’s scorpions with a similar but faint fruity overtone. Seed count was low, and the placenta looked medium at the time but looking at the picture, it is clearly pretty heavy. Texture was nice and juicy and velvety but the skin seemed thinner than the other two scorpions I have tried. Flavor was a lot more chemical than the others I two I tried. This one was more along the lines of how I have heard others describe scorpions. It was hard to taste the fruity flavor, it was there but was masked by a medium capsicum / chemical flavor. It was unusual because the first bite gave the impression that it was going to be very very hot. It almost had a sting and instant heat like the Fatali… but it never intensified beyond the mouth and was never uncomfortable. Last bite with all the placenta was not very tasty and a bit had to swallow. Heat was around or slightly below a Bhut Jolokia. It delivered a nice solid mouth burn. No effect on the throat and only mild sweat or other side effects. I am so looking forward to trying the Butch T again, but will probably have to try the BrainStrain tomorrow since Ron has never had a 7. I want him to get a good throat burn before he tries the Douglah on Thursday. Thanks SS! You sent some beautiful peppers. I’ll test the milder ones this weekend for flavor while Ron it out of town then re-start the superhot’s next week. Butch T is probably going to be scheduled for Monday then a 3rd try for a super hot yellow scorpion on Tuesday. Oh SS, did you send 3 varieties of red scorpions? Looks like two Butch, Two regular T. Scorps and one single maybe a marouga scorp? Or is it just a 3rd of one of the other two varieties?

TrinidadScorpionSS.jpg

TrinidadScorpionSS-Interior.jpg

great work! looking forward to the other vids.

imho, problem the trinidad scorpions with taste is that the heat hits you too fast that it doesn't give you a chance to taste the actual flavor. it's like a punch in the face and then goes up and up. well that's from what i've experienced with a dried trinidad scorp pod. but that was a butch t one.

some folks say also that t scorps doesn't have a lot of good flavor, but that's really how it's grown and what it's been fed with. coz the one i tried was pretty good, had a couple friends try it out too, they loved it. it was their favorite.

great work! looking forward to the other vids.

imho, problem the trinidad scorpions with taste is that the heat hits you too fast that it doesn't give you a chance to taste the actual flavor. it's like a punch in the face and then goes up and up. well that's from what i've experienced with a dried trinidad scorp pod. but that was a butch t one.

some folks say also that t scorps doesn't have a lot of good flavor, but that's really how it's grown and what it's been fed with. coz the one i tried was pretty good, had a couple friends try it out too, they loved it. it was their favorite.

Thanks Franz! That is exactly what happened here. Flavor was masked by a strong capsicum type flavor, but it was not even that hot. Judy's was much hotter and had a much better flavor (Also one of my all time favorites) Go figure? Judy's did look totally different though (more bonnet shaped) so it is not fair to compare them. The Butch T’s look identical to what I already tried and loved so I am really looking forward to comparing those. Never thought about the flavor of the pepper being affected by what it is fed. That would be a neat experiment. Three Identical plants one gets no ferts, one gets worms tea, fish and seaweed and the third gets commercial non organic ferts. I wonder if they would really alter the flavor enough to be able to tell one from the other?

Great review Michael. Please tell Ronnie that he is the perfect Costello to your Abbot. You guys are perfect together. I can see a sitcom in your future.

I don't think it's going to really matter which one you guys do next, Butch T. scorp or one of Cappy's Brain Strains. Either one is going to put a hurt on poor Ronnie. Give him my best.

Sample 3 left plate identified.
Numbered.jpg

1 Aji de la Tierra
2 Congo Trinidad
3 Dorset Naga
4 Polombo
5 Brain Strain
6 Chocolate Hab
7 Lemon Drop
8 Costeno Amarillo
9 Serrano
10 Jaloro
11 Scorpion Red
12 Datil
13 Fish
14 Fatalii
15 Scorpion Yellow
16 Douglah
and Cayenne (not numbered)

Not the best time of year for good representations of chile varieties as cool temps at night have caused ripening sooner at a smaller size and often with lower capsaicin levels. Only 2 Scorpion varieties were included (red and yellow) and both are runts this time of year. The red Scorps all came from the same plant. I do remember throwing a few more pods in the box as I was packing them up, so you have a few more than pictured, but all from the same varieties listed. BTW, the Yellow Scorpion is not considered a "super" hot.

I'm enjoying your reviews guys and looking forward to seeing Ronnie realize his great expectations of heat with the Brain Strain or the Douglah. ;) I think Ronnie needs to chew the pods a bit longer though and give them a chance to really dance in his mouth. :)

Capsaicin (pronounced kap-SAY-ih-sin) (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide, (CH3)2CHCH=CH(CH2)4CONHCH2C6H3-4-(OH)-3-(OCH3)) is the active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum.

nice review michael! do brainstrain! i gotta see what you think of that. i'll have around 10 plants of the BS 7pod next season. just did judys butch t. damn that was good. i couldn't believe the flavour after the test was over. really hot though. do brainstrain dude!

Back