BeagleStorm vs. Beni Highlands & Hinkelhatz Chiles

Beni Highlands – This could be called Fatali Jr. It really was very similar to a Fatali… and I am further realizing that a lot of the yellow c. chinense’s are starting to taste pretty similar. This is a pretty basic looking pepper about 2” long, nothing intimidating about it. Nice deep yellow color. Medium Seed count and thicker juicer flesh than a Fatali. Fruity and citrus smelling with hint of apricot. Flavor was actually quite a bit stronger than Fatali. Kind of a citrus floral flavor. Similar flavor to Fatali just more of it with about an orange habanero heat. That may be because you lose the flavor of the Fatali in the heat. This was a nice pepper but I still prefer the Fatali and If I am going to grow that one, I don’t think I would need to grow this one. If Fatali’s are too hot for you then definitely give these a try.

Hinkelhatz - I have wondered about these chiles, named by Pennsylvania Dutch growers, the 'Hinkelhatz' is a rare heirloom pepper which translates to “chicken heart”. After I tried them today, I looked it up and found that they are usually pickled. They are small deep red nice shaped peppers with bumps and a very dense feel to them. They are C. Annuum’s and when cut open reflect that. They have a light poddy, lettuce aroma when cut open. Thick juicy flesh with a tough skin. Flavor was almost non-existent. Just a hint of maybe a green grape but mostly just a crunchy pod/lettuce theme. Heat was very low on this one. Now I know why they pickle these. Not what I am looking for in a fresh eating or salsa chile… too bad, they are cool looking little peppers.

Thanks Buddy!

nice reviews michael! the beni looks great! when i lived in PA there was a place that sold pickled chicken heart peppers so i started out on those. it's funny, back in those days i would have died from an orange hab! it looks like buddy really went for the unusual varieties! great stuff!

Back