• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense BeagleStorm vs. The Assam Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon Chile

The Assam Bhut Jolokia Indian Carbon is definitely in the running for the coolest sounding chile name. Thanks Judy for sharing this morsel from the Far East. This is my first taste of a Red Bhut Jolokia and I still have the original Bhut to try coming up. The ABJIC is a nice looking medium sized spiky and wrinkled deep red pepper. Just as she described, the pod and its skin feels much thinner than a regular Bhut of the same size. Cutting it open I got a gentle rush of aroma. Mostly a Bhut/Naga and sweet capsicum odor. Bringing it closer it smells floral and fresh with mellow capsicum overtones. When I close my eyes take a whiff and try and imagine a flower smelling like this…. I am having a hard time doing it. It’s probably because my brain already associates it with a Bhut smell and not a flower but that is the best description I can think of right now. The pod has a medium-high seed count. It must have had 35-40 seeds easy. Skin is quite thin looking but actually chews up to be a bit thicker than it looks. Interior skin of the pod is covered in a nice layer of white placenta. The Seed placenta is also big with a think vein of it running down the center of the pod. Flavor is much more floral/fruity than the Dorset or Naga Morich. I remember them being more subdued and balanced. This one really hits you with a blast of flavor then it goes away just as fast leaving a Naga and gentle capsicum flavor. I think I still prefer the more balanced Naga Morich. However this is definitely worth trying because there are not that many superhots that have this much flavor and if you like the floral flavor you will love this. Other than that uber flavorful Chocolate 7, the 7SR/Brainstrain I had was the next most fruity/floral superhot besides this ABJIC. Yet the 7SR’s flavor was still like half the strength of this one. Remind me to update this after I try the regular Bhut Jolokia to see if this is just the Indian Carbon Strain or if the regular Bhut is just as flavorful. Heat wise, it is comparable to and maybe a tad more intense than the Naga’s. Just like the flavor, the Naga Morich seemed to have a more balanced overall burn. This ABJIC was really focused on the sides of my tongue and a pinpoint to the very top back of my throat around the tonsils. Now I can see where blending powders would be fun to say blend three powders that attack different parts of the head. Some 7 for the throat, this BJ for the side of the tongue then some White habanero (Sorry Sean, I did try your Peruvian White Habs and they were Awesome Just have not written anything yet) for the top and tip of the tongue. I am looking forward to comparing this to a regular Bhut, retrying a Naga Morich from my plants and a Dorset that Judy also sent. I should be able to tie them all together shortly. Thanks again Judy and everyone who has taken the time to send me some chiles to review. It has really been one of the most memorable things I have done in a long time and I really appreciate it. I just hope my kids don’t use it against me in a few years when they ask my permission to do something crazy.

great review as always michael! you took that well. then again , after the douglah it doesn't get to much worse. hell of a midnight snack huh! i cannot wait to see you take on the butch t! the scorps are so evil. i still have nighmares!

Cool vid beagle!!!
I like your big huge butcher knife!
Hi Salsakid... Love your videos. I have two young boys I am grooming to eat chile like you. One runs away at the sight of chile, the other younger one tries anything and seems to like chile. We will see. The knife is to show the chiles who is the boss. It does not seem to work very well they beat me every time. Glad you got your own account, Welcome to THP.

Great review!
Thanks Alpha, Glad you enjoy them.

Nothing wrong with a good BJ....
Well I guess that depends on who is the one eating the chile... Hehehe

great review as always michael! you took that well. then again , after the douglah it doesn't get to much worse. hell of a midnight snack huh! i cannot wait to see you take on the butch t! the scorps are so evil. i still have nighmares!
My sons party lasted till 7 then we played with toys till 11. I slept like a baby. T. Scorp BT Tonight for sure... who cares about work tomorrow. hahah

:bday: for your boy how old is he now ?
Thanks Judy, Great chiles.. they are so fresh and came through perfect. My son is 4 and says when he is older he will eat chile but right now he is too little and he can't eat spicy things. His little brother nibbles on salsa and pepper flakes like he is already addicted.

another in the long line of great video reviews. based on your review, i'm going to have to try to try one of these. thanks again.

Back