• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video BeagleStorm vs. The Chocolate Bhut Jolokia Chile - A Video Review

My new favorite! The Chocolate Bhut Jolokia has a great combination of traits that really come together nicely to make it my favorite so far. It’s a great mean looking pod, solid, with a good size, feels dense with a nice texture when you hold in your hand. When you cut it open it has lots of placenta and a med-low seed count. (I hate seeds) Not as oily as the Dorset but it may not have been as fresh. I think if I picked it off the pant myself and ate it would be juicer and oilier. Aroma was a slightly flowery and fresh very nice and not overwhelming. Flavor was very nice. I am having trouble describing it. It just tasted good. Not great but as I was chewing it I was thinking I like the flavor. Maybe like what it would be like if you ate one of the flowers they string around a lei in Hawaii. Texture was also nice. Pretty thin skin chewed up easily. Burn was a great overall mouth burn. Zero pain in the throat. Really a toss up as to weather it was hotter than the Dorset. The Dorest may have seemed a bit hotter only because the extra oil would vaporize and when you inhaled it would kind of make you choke. The actual burn was about the same with the Dorset a hair more in the throat. I will definitely grow a few of these next year. I can’t wait to try the powder on some pizza. Thanks for watching and I promise I will have some friends helping me for the next batch. Great chiles Judy!

great review! i'll probably send you some of these too if they are ready when the yellow 7s are. you can give a second oppinion. i look forward to trying the chocolate bhut. the plant is getting huge!

Great review Beagle! As of right now, I have it as MY favorite. A lot of people prefer the Fatalli. Not me. Dont get me wrong, the Fatalli si good, but a little too bitter for my liking. I LOVE the robustness of the choc. bbhut. Has a nice burn, but enough to be an enjoyable burn, ya know?

You're getting professional at this Beagle, you need to sign up as a reviewer. I have enjoyed all of your reviews thank you.

Oh, the Hippy Seed Company guy's name is Neil. In case you didn't know.

Excellent review Beagle! I'm surely gonna be growing those next season so I'm glad to know they should be tasty little numbers. Glad it has a more even burn than the regular Bhut. That's something I definitely prefer. None of that back of the throat scorching jazz.

Good stuff!

I appreciate all the nice comments. Thanks again everybody for sharing these delicious morsels from your garden. I have really enjoyed reviewing all the chiles that have been sent to me. Hopefully, I will get to share some of mine if this cooler weather keeps up. I am finally starting to see a few pods on some of my plants, hopefully by late October I will be able to give back to a few of you.

Beaglestorm

I admire you, I've heard some stories about those Bhut's that would make me think it is impossible for someone to stay as calm as you were eating it. I'll have to say those are the peppers I've been wanting to try for years. We got some seeds this year but only one plant made it and it's slow going. Late starts can really screw up everything. Great review!

Nice video. Doesn't appear that it was overly hot. I've seen other videos of people having a much more difficult time eating the bhuts. Everything is hot in TX, so maybe you are used to it.

I planted two Bhut seeds on May 1. One plant survived and it is finally getting ready to make 4 flowers. I'm not sure if I will have time this year to see any pods this year. I have about 1.5-2 mths of warm weather so I may bring it inside. Out of all the plants I have, this plant, the fatalli and the datil are the ones I one to try.

Beaglestorm, did you get the choc bhut seeds from the hippy sead co?

Nice video. Doesn't appear that it was overly hot. I've seen other videos of people having a much more difficult time eating the bhuts. Everything is hot in TX, so maybe you are used to it.

I planted two Bhut seeds on May 1. One plant survived and it is finally getting ready to make 4 flowers. I'm not sure if I will have time this year to see any pods this year. I have about 1.5-2 mths of warm weather so I may bring it inside. Out of all the plants I have, this plant, the fatalli and the datil are the ones I one to try.

Beaglestorm, did you get the choc bhut seeds from the hippy sead co?

I bought these Chocolate Bhut chiles from Judy (pepperlover.com). I have a plant growing and currently flowing like crazy (no pods yet)from brunmegood.com and I also bought seeds from Semillas.de. Now that I know I like them so much, I plan to use the seed from all three sources next year to grow 5 or 6 plants. You did better then me with the regular bhuts. I bought 4 beautifl NMSU Bhut plants (about 10" each)from a local nursery here and all 4 have just done nothing in 3 months. So no Bhuts for me this year. I think it was the MG potting soil and its bad drainage. Next year only good stuff and amending for excellent drainage.

Back