• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

BeagleStorm vs. The Douglah Chile

The Douglah has such a reputation for heat and pain I was definitely more nervous to try this pepper than any other previous to this. (Except for maybe my first ever test… The Black Naga) I thought I was going to escape this season with out trying one but Tom must have seen it in my eyes that I would be miserable all winter if I did not get to try one before next year. Thanks Tom! You really sent a nice batch of Douglah’s to me. I know you wanted me to try eating a whole one, but after re-reading/watching all the reviews I decided I could not risk missing a whole day of work curled up in the fetal position nursing milk out of one of my sons sippy cups tomorrow. I hope you can forgive me. The peppers that he sent were about as evil looking as you can get. Wrinkled, spiky, bumpy, gnarled and twisted deep brownish-red pods. Not as plastic feeling as a 7 Pod. You could squeeze these and feel them flex and give little. The actually feel a little hollow in your hand. Sliced open there was no rush of aroma like a 7 Pod. Smelling up close revealed the scent of brimstone and hot forged Iron. (Just Kidding) The smell was very chemical with a very strong capsicum odor. No fruit, no sweetness, nothing saying “Hey I’m not that bad… just pop me in your mouth and see” Also just tiny a hint of Naga mixed in. The pod had a ton of seeds for its size – medium to heavy I would say. Not a lot of seed placenta tissue, but the walls of the chile had a very thick reddish layer of placenta with an extremely oily coating that formed drops all over the inside walls of the flesh. At about this point, the fight or flight instinct started to creep up from the involuntary caveman lobe of my brain. Remembering how pleasant the taste of the Chocolate 7 Pod I had was, I refocused and sliced off…. a quarter piece. (Sorry again Tom) Took a small nibble to check the flavor. Does anybody actually know what Battery Acid tastes like? I wonder now because this tasted just like it smelled. No fruit, or sweetness or any really redeeming flavors. Nothing bad enough that you would want to spit it out but the flavor really was almost like a Capsicum concentrate. A tad bitter, with an oily mild chemical flavor. It really surprised me that it tasted that way. I really thought I was going to want to slice of another piece and taste it a second time. Nope! Even the Primo which had the same chemical flavor had a tiny hint of fruitiness that made me say “I will try another bite to see what fruit it tastes like.” Texture was similar to a Naga or Bhut, it chewed up nicely. Heat wise, it was amazing considering it was only a quarter piece. Only a single blowtorch to the back of the throat but this one really made the roof of my mouth and tongue also feel the torch. None of the 7 Pods really did it anywhere to that level. Heat hit similar to a 7 pod though it took about 3 minutes to peak then lasted another 4 or 5. I had planed to grow 3 or 4 of these plants next year so I am glad I got the opportunity to taste them first. Now I will be happy with just 1 or 2 plants and I will be converting them all straight to powder to help raise the heat level of other powders that taste good. I also want to try growing the Douglah’s from the two other seed sources I have in order to see if they taste the same. Thanks again Tom. I will try and get my friends to try this tomorrow, I just hope they don’t Google Douglah.

d7pod21.jpg

This is the photo of the pods Tom sent me to get the nightmares started while I was on vacation.
DouglahInside.jpg

Here is the inside of the pod I ate.

Very accurate description, but eating a whole pod (seeds and all) is the only way to get the full impact. :hell:

Mixing these with others for flavor is the only way I've found to use these as well. :)

Nice review.

Nice review. I ate a quarter of a doughlah a couple of days ago and experienced the same as you. It did not taste very good and I felt like I had fire ants in my mouth. To me, the worst part was how it hit my stomach so quickly. That never happened to me before. Glad I did not eat the whole thing at once. The stomach ache lasted all day. Turning it to powder might be a great idea.

Very accurate description, but eating a whole pod (seeds and all) is the only way to get the full impact. :hell:

Mixing these with others for flavor is the only way I've found to use these as well. :)

Nice review.
Thanks SS, I have no doubt that it would be an E ticket ride. But it is also alot like hiring Edward Scissorhands to remove your appendix. I might consider poping a whole pod and chewing it up for 30 seconds or so then spiting it out. Get a wicked burn with out the stomach turn. I am looking forward to blending powders next year.

these make great bbq poppers!!
Those are the ones wrapped in bacon right? I will have to go back and find your post with that recipe. I might actually consider doing that someday if they are well cooked.

Nice review. I ate a quarter of a doughlah a couple of days ago and experienced the same as you. It did not taste very good and I felt like I had fire ants in my mouth. To me, the worst part was how it hit my stomach so quickly. That never happened to me before. Glad I did not eat the whole thing at once. The stomach ache lasted all day. Turning it to powder might be a great idea.
Thanks Chileaddict, the stomach is the really what is holding me back. The blowtorch in the throat and mouth is uncomfortable but goes away after a few minutes and is very addictive. The stomach discomfort on the other hand can linger for several miserable hours. I have never thought. “Ohhh I can't wait to have my stomach fell like that again” . In the case of the Duglah it is just not worth it to me given its taste. Daggers in the stomach from a delicous Chocolate 7…. now that may be worth it. I remember the flavor of the 7SR and the Chocolate 7 lingered strong for hours and I still had a nice hint of taste in my mouth when I woke up the next morning. I have eaten a bag of microwave popcorn before the last two tests and it really helps. I still get the pain but more like thumbtacks. I don't think it would be enough to shield against a whole Douglah however.

Yowsa! So they taste like shit eh? Not gonna stop me from growing one cause it looks so cool but that kinda sucks!
Yea, flavor or lack there of was really disappointing. But like you, I will also still grow this next year just because I like the burn it gave me and how wicked they look. It is the first pepper to really give me a hard burn on the tongue and roof of the mouth. I want to try roasting and smoking then drying and powdering them. I am going to give them every opportunity to surprise me going forward.

Thanks everybody for watching. Judy, I am looking forward to that box of peppers you are sending.. the Jolokia's it will be a nice break from all these 7's. I am not out of the woods yet though, I still have Ed's Yellow 7 to rematch against in the coming weeks.

beagle - great review. you've convinced me of one thing - i'm going to take a pass on trying to tackle this one.

nice one michael! those hurt. the flavour and heat description is right on the money! i might have to send the yellow 7 partly unripe and hope it ripens fully. the are taking forever. the drop in temprature is screwing everything up for me. don't worry though i'll make up for it next season. i'm so pissed about my crops this year, i'm going overboard next year. i will plant all the douglah seeds you sent as well as all the brainstrain seeds you and sean sent. i'm also buying barrackpore 7 and butch t from judy. there is some creature that is sneaking in and boring a whole in my yellow 7s. i just had to trash 4 nice ones and winter is coming fast. the regular red 7s seem fine good production but they've got to turn color. the GD caterpillars are pissing me off! any way the pods will come to you one way or another. al the plants i have now will be overwintered. no more waiting and waiting and waiting. remember the movie the shining. that's what i feel like!!!

Hey Mike, I enjoyed the review. The taste is a letdown, but the pods look slick and give killer heat. I only enjoy the Douglah in small portions after trying a whole one. If you're ever bored, try a whole pod for a joyride. The pain is intolerable, but it's a great feeling when you reach the other side. Of course, I've sworn not to go through that again--hahah.

You're right about needing only 1 or 2 of these plants. The pods came from a very productive plant; it's still cranking out ripe pods for me. I hope those seeds do the same for you.

I cut up and put a whole one into my tuna sandwich and only could eat 1/4 of it. These things are deadly. :hell:
I agree! After trying it, powder is really the only way I see using it. Maybe a Pappy Popper if I can wrap an entire side of bacon around one.

beagle - great review. you've convinced me of one thing - i'm going to take a pass on trying to tackle this one.
Thanks Buddy, Your Red 7(Jonah???) was just as hot and tasted better. Douglah's will be on a short leash with me next year. There are so many other superhots that are close. If I can't find a way to mask or improve their flavor, it will end up being be a quick affair

nice one michael! those hurt. the flavour and heat description is right on the money! i might have to send the yellow 7 partly unripe and hope it ripens fully. the are taking forever. the drop in temprature is screwing everything up for me. don't worry though i'll make up for it next season. i'm so pissed about my crops this year, i'm going overboard next year. i will plant all the douglah seeds you sent as well as all the brainstrain seeds you and sean sent. i'm also buying barrackpore 7 and butch t from judy. there is some creature that is sneaking in and boring a whole in my yellow 7s. i just had to trash 4 nice ones and winter is coming fast. the regular red 7s seem fine good production but they've got to turn color. the GD caterpillars are pissing me off! any way the pods will come to you one way or another. al the plants i have now will be overwintered. no more waiting and waiting and waiting. remember the movie the shining. that's what i feel like!!!
Thanks Ed - No worries on the Yellow 7's. I can wait till next year…. It will be nice to have some scorching hot Easter eggs in my basket next spring. I feel your pain, I also started way to late. Plus I had to take the crash course in container gardening this season.. bad drainage and home depot soil and 30 days of 100+ temps pretty much had their way with me and my plants this year.

Great review! I truly enjoyed reading your description :rofl:
Thanks Alpha, I think the chile induced endorphin rush helps with the creative side of writing the reviews. Letters I write during the day at work or before chile eating seem pretty dry.

Hey Mike, I enjoyed the review. The taste is a letdown, but the pods look slick and give killer heat. I only enjoy the Douglah in small portions after trying a whole one. If you're ever bored, try a whole pod for a joyride. The pain is intolerable, but it's a great feeling when you reach the other side. Of course, I've sworn not to go through that again--hahah.

You're right about needing only 1 or 2 of these plants. The pods came from a very productive plant; it's still cranking out ripe pods for me. I hope those seeds do the same for you.
I hear you Tom. 10 years ago I probably would have done it... now my kids (and wife) would never let me have the day off to recover from a hot pepper. And I would scare them into never wanting to try one. One of those pod you sent was absolutely ideal. A beautiful bonnet shape, large with dark spiky skin. Not sure if that is what a “textbook” douglah is supposed to look like but I think it is perfect and am going to be harvesting seed from it for next year. Thinking about it now I wonder if the bonnet shape with the flesh folding back up into itself prevents placenta from filling the cavity.(or maybe helps) I will have to compare the amount of placenta in the bonnet shaped one with one of the more traditional and open habanero shaped pods. Looks like it will be 3 plants for me next year…. one of yours, one of Judy’s and one of PRF’s

Great vid the douglahs are kings IMO.
Thanks Lazienfat, Buddy’s Red 7 (Jonah?) that he sent me was neck in neck with these Douglah in pain and heat. The brown flesh and the chemical taste is a lot more psychologically menacing however so I tend to agree with you.

Your reviews are becoming legendary Beagleman and I enjoy them immensely. Agree with you on the taste but the powder doesn't seem to have as much of a chemical taste to it. Or the food I put it on disguises it well. You're right on about the heat though, it does a wicked number on the mouth.

Thanks for all of your reviews, you have a talent for using the right words in your descriptions.

Your reviews are becoming legendary Beagleman and I enjoy them immensely. Agree with you on the taste but the powder doesn't seem to have as much of a chemical taste to it. Or the food I put it on disguises it well. You're right on about the heat though, it does a wicked number on the mouth.

Thanks for all of your reviews, you have a talent for using the right words in your descriptions.
Thanks for the kind words Mr. Patrick. I am so glad to hear that the taste of the Douglah is more palatable as a powder. I was really having a hard time justifying planting a 2 or 3 of them and not having a good use for the pods. I will give them a chance to redeem themselves. Get ready for a avalanche of reviews (Well…. as many as my stomach can handle anyway.) The box I bought from Judy just arrived and it pretty much had one of everything on the planet that I have not tried yet.

Great review again Beaglestorm.

Those Douglahs really look like they deserve the full respect that their reputation has been built on.

Good to see you willing to 'take one for the team' to get these reviews out to us.

Best,

Doug
dvg

Back