• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

video BeagleStorm vs. The Yellow CARDI Scorpion Chile - A Video Review

The Yellow CARDI Scorpion is an interesting chile. semillas.de describes it as:

"Selection of a Yellow Trinidad Scorpion with improved heat, done by CARDI (Caribbean Agricultural Research and Development Institute, St. Augustine, Trinidad). High yields! (Capsicum Chinense)"

There have been a bunch of reviews that have been done on this one discussing its lack of heat. I agree with them. Quite a tame pepper. I guess it could be that "improved heat" means less heat since a normal scorpion is ridiculously hot. The pods look nice and have a medium-thin skin. My first thought on the flavor was bell pepper but sweeter. Even the pod texture was similar as it had a fresh crunch to it. The flavor was nice but something was a tad odd about it. However, I could not put my finger on what it was. Given the number of varieties out there I am not sure if I will grow this next year. Even though I really wanted to like it because it is an edible scorpion, It did not leave a lasing impressing on me...

Nice review. I have not had this one yet, and most likely will not seek it out. Thanks for the review.

great review michael! i bet you had that pepper terrified with that knife!haha. haven't tried this one yet. looks good. a mild scorpion. seems kinda wrong! cool looking pepper though.

I have grown these for several years and at first had the same reaction when I realized they are they hottest chile, but have since found that I use all these peppers and my family likes them because they are very edible. Almost didn't grow them again this year but very glad I did because they are very good eating pepper. They shape is awesome and a big beautiful yellow pods makes this a true keeper in my garden. Superhots are trendy but peppers you actually eat are cool. :dance:

I have grown these for several years and at first had the same reaction when I realized they are they hottest chile, but have since found that I use all these peppers and my family likes them because they are very edible. Almost didn't grow them again this year but very glad I did because they are very good eating pepper. They shape is awesome and a big beautiful yellow pods makes this a true keeper in my garden. Superhots are trendy but peppers you actually eat are cool. :dance:

Yes, I would hate for this review to keep someone from growing or trying them. Everybody's taste is so different. I have very specific ideas about what I want in a chile. In my case, the wife won't touch more than medium green chile and the kids are too young. I am hoping to settle on 10 or 15 varieties that I really like, then grow another 10 or 15 new ones each year for fun. 50 or so plants are all I have the room and time for. For me the CARDI was a very nice size, shape and color but the flavor and heat was not what I was looking for. When my kids get a few years older this would be a nice pepper for them to grow.

Back