• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Beef plate ribs for my 40th Birthday cook

Beef plate ribs for my 40th Birthday cook....

6 ribs total
7lbs pre cook weight
35$

You go to any Texas BBQ joint that actually sell these and don't run out your paying 30$ per rib! And from what I understand this is the margin on these isn't great for the bbq houses, thus you have them only doing a few and or one day a week at the most.

So I have cooked these one time before and they turned out great. All of that wonderful brisket taste in a little less time than a traditional brisket cook. I had the butcher cut individual ribs last time and they cooked a bit faster because of the surface area. They were still great but this time I had him cut them into 2 bone sections which I will cut after they are cooked. A simple kosher salt, cracked black pepper, coffee grounds, and dried habanero powder rub will do just fine.

I tend to cook them a bit hot bone side down at 275-280 (my brisket cooks are at 250). When they hit 165 I wrap them and flip them bone side up till they hit 200. Much like you would a packer brisket but with out all of the trimming....time....and rib flip :). Brisket usually take about 10 or so hours with these beef plate ribs running 8 hours. But you can never go by time alone always a temperature probe in the meat and one above the grill so you know exactly your pit temp at the foods level, not up high where they usually stick el cheepo analog thermometer in your smoker hood.

I've said it before and will say it again if you are in the market for a 4 probe wireless thermometer that will connect with your tablet or phone and chart out your cook look no further than the igrill. I love mine!

https://www.amazon.com/iDevices-IGR0009P5-iGrill2-Bluetooth-Thermometer/dp/B00NC4KU42/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466127621&sr=8-1&keywords=idevice+igrill

Waking up at 530 am to start the firebox. Cooking with mesquite HEB charcoal to start then adding post oak logs. Shooting for a 430-500 finish with an hour rest in a cooler. I might even sneak on a rack of baby backs but y'all have seen my posts about those before :). Will update with more pix tomorrow as the cook goes along. Have fun at work...

+1 for birthday beef ribs. That's what I did on my birthday this year but I went out and bought one. You are right about price, cost me about $25 for one the size of my face. Good luck with yours & happy birthday!

So the ribs went on as scheduled around 6:45. I'm writing this at 1045 smoking a 98 erdm pc.

They are coming up to temperature at a nice gradual rate as you can see on the line graph below. The top graph is rib temp the bottom is the smoker grate temp attire right in front of the ribs. I placed them on the opposite side of the firebox. My pit temps started nice up near the 270 degree mark and have fallen since the charcoal burnt off. Now cooking a bit low but there is only one log in the firebox. Going to add another soon. You can also see the distinct valleys in the graph. This is where I opened the lid. The first dip at 900 I added water to the smoker chamber. The last dip at 1039 is when I snapped off the meat pix. It's amazing how much heat you loose every time that lid opens......if your lookin you ain't cookin ;)

Muumuum Post oak smoke

Might not wrap them this time and see how that works out

fred_flinstone_ribs.png

Ozzy2001 said:
Man those look great. I need to try doing some beef ribs.

You're gonna have to find a butcher that sells plate ribs or chuck ribs, "beef ribs" are not that much bigger than spare ribs.

Finished up right on time ended up wrapping beef ribs at 180 deg and pulling them to rest for a few hours at 208. Baby backs went on for two hours unwrapped and two hours wrapped and turned out great. Everyone said (had two other families over) that they wished they didn't eat the beef rib first...,it was just that good! Really words and pictures don't do them justice. You just used your fingers to pull briskety goodness off the bone. Amazing. Even have two left for tomorrow :). Anyway thanks for watching the cook. Signing off at 12:49 am muhahahahahahaha.....l

Sent from my iPad

Back