• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Beef Plate Ribs

grantmichaels said:

Yeah. Smoke them from cold ... and don't set them out to come to room temp before smoking them!
The longer the meat is cold, the longer it will enjoy the period where it takes in the maximum amount of smoke ...
Bringing meat to room temp was debunked. glad we watched that :) 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Bringing meat to room temp was debunked. glad we watched that :)

I don't remember where it's from, but it's been committed to memory as the rule ...

For me, in particular, it's a good rule for ALMOST everything meat-wise ...

I chill my burger patties down, too, or cook-from-frozen - for the Maillard's ...

I chill the whole-cut down before I grind it ...

I've really seen the difference with the smoking too, because it explains why those el cheapo butterball turkey breasts came out so damn good when I smoked them ... because I smoked them from frozen and so they took smoke a lot longer for that reason ...

:cheers:

Where is that concept learned?
Run time equals smoke infusion

grantmichaels said:

Yeah. Smoke them from cold ... and don't set them out to come to room temp before smoking them!
The longer the meat is cold, the longer it will enjoy the period where it takes in the maximum amount of smoke ...

Yeah but science (him) CANT "bark up" a good piece of meat without TIME :party:
There is bark and then there is REAL low and slow bark that's almost as thick as a good red ring
Science almost gets it right LOL!!

grantmichaels said:
But I *like* that part! =)

All I know is 37 to 203 is something special :)

10389546_10202055839941923_2622929845944363655_n.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Once the meat temp exceeds 170F, there's only minimal uptake in that regard ...
That said - if you think about that, on a brisket, that's only the last 7-10% of the total time ...
Read Prof. Greg Blonder on meat cooking science - http://www.genuineideas.com/GEBBio/gebbio.html

kinda confusing two things here aren't you though..    Ring isn't smoke flavour, although max smoke flavour uptake is  still with cool moist meat.   Ring is just setting  myoglobin colour before enzymes cut it off. 

http://www.genuineideas.com/ArticlesIndex/sranotsmoke.html

I might have, yeah, as I've reduced the commonalities from Modernist Cuisine and the teams from ATK and AmazingRibs into one set of practices ...

170F is the cut-off for smoke-ring creation, and if you are going to do combine smoking with sous vide and/or an oven, that's often the transition temp in mind ...

We all agree that cold/humid meat will take more smoke flavor, though ... and preferably smoke from a fire burning 400F+, however small or distant it needs to be to still be low and slow at the meat ...

maybe.. every time things seem simple you get someone like Myron Mixon winning comps doing hot and fast cooks. 

There is something to be said for the skill of the craftsman .     A carpenter doesn't need to know how a tree grows to make something beautiful. 

He still needs that fire to be 400F+ or else, but his def of low & slow can be ... personal.
I only cook Boston's at 225F at this point, or less, but everything else I do 245-285F, depending on the timeline I have and/or if I've brined/injected ...

Back