artwork Been there? Done that? Or one day I dream of starting my own fiery foods business?

I know there are lots of threads that focus on various aspects of the business.  Many thanks go out to Lucky Dog Hot Sauce and Salsa Lady.  I have been reading your content likes its gospel.

But I am really curious... How many of us have the dream to start a fiery foods business?  How many people have tried it and couldn't get past some early hurdles?  How many people tried and failed?  How many people have a small business plus a day job?  How many people are living the dream and do this full time?  What are your experiences and lessons learned if you care to share?

I am in a weird place right now.  lol  I have a friend who owns a restaurant.  I gave him some of my sauces and jams during the holidays and now he wants to put them on his menu starting around Super Bowl time.  I know I can use his kitchen to produce what he wants....  But I immediately started thinking past this one "order."  

What has me hung up is taking the leap.  I have 1 sauce that I think is ready to go to market.  I have two more that need a little fine tuning.  I also have a bbq rub and seasoning salt that I think are ready for market. If I make a business out of this my friend has offered to let me use his kitchen for FREE  I know securing a commercial kitchen can be daunting, but literally had one fall in my lap.  I have a good break down of all of the fees, licenses, regulations, and start ups costs.  I have identified a couple of farmer's markets I could sell at, a couple of vendors that would be willing to sell my products, and 2 restaurants that would be willing to place my sauces on the table of their establishment.  Financing is a big one.  I have a potential financial backer that will be sitting down with me this weekend to go over my business plan.  But as much as I am excited about this, I know there is a good chance at failure.  Right now I can make my hobby sauces and hand them out to friends  The kudos I get are awesome... But I fall into the go big or go home category.  If I am going to do this I need to be all in.

I am looking for any feedback or personal experiences that might sway me.

I've been thinking about SnF's question since yesterday. 

I'm not full time. It's a side business right along with our other business.  We are self employed electrical contractors.  While we don't work in the field 8 hrs a day 5 days a week, there's a lot of nights and weekends doing paperwork, meeting with clients, etc.  So I have no problem taking days off during the week be it for recreation or making food stuffs.

So even though it hasn't been 40 hrs a week making salsa, I've been making it for about 18 years anywhere from once a month in the winter to every 5 days in the summer.  Until this last year, it was all me and only me doing the work, labeling, delivering.  And I can honestly say that after almost 20 years....I dread having to make salsa.  I literally have to psych myself up and force myself out to the kitchen.  The ONLY thing that gets me out there is the $$$ in my pocket after it's all delivered.  It's so bad now that hubby is even offering to help, just to get it done cuz we just can' argue with the cash it brings in.  One batch of salsa is groceries for a week. 

And it's kinda the same for the other sauces.  It's fun when I have time and can keep up on it, but if I'm behind doing electrical, and out of sauces, it's a pressure to get it done and I really don't want to do it.....

So, it's not fun anymore. 

When considering going full time, it's not an option for me.  There's no retail markets around here (like famers markets) to generate good $ and immediate $, selling on the internet doesn't make enough to make a paycheck.  Pure Evil might get to enough volume to be a good supplemental income, but it's gonna take a lot to replace what we make as electricians. 

I like creating the sauces, playing around, mixing things up....the actual production, packaging, etc is not so thrilling any more...

Just my thoughts right now~

This is the kinda stuff I was after SL - the real nuts and bolts realities of the business.  You get into it because you love it/love doing it and over time the realities of life mean some things become a grind.  Your and LDHS perspectives are unique and valuable.  I'm thankful for your response.  :)

I'll add to my post a bit - spent the day not feeling well yesterday. In my last gig I could afford to take a day off - I worked on "office stuff" for 6 hours until I nearly passed out from exhaustion.

And then drank tea all day and evening - and then set my alarm for 06:20 so I could do my market today.

The last thing in the world I want to do is work today, but I'm 99% sure what I've got is not contagious & missing work just isn't an option right now. I'll wear gloves on both hands and won't breathe on people just in case.
;)

But the point is, when you are self employed, no work = no pay. No work = no progress. Momentum is fleeting - you have to constantly keep the ball rolling. And if you're not out hustling you're not paying the bills, or keeping a roof over your head.

Self employment has it's bad days too. My old boss would have told me to take the day off.

Lucky Dog Hot Sauce said:
I'll add to my post a bit - spent the day not feeling well yesterday. In my last gig I could afford to take a day off - I worked on "office stuff" for 6 hours until I nearly passed out from exhaustion.

My old boss would have told me to take the day off.

Great addition!  I feel it's really important to note that you've got to have the determination and will to get out of bed and make your business each and every day.  Really you've got to slog postman style, through wind and rain and snow and sleet - when other's don't show YOU DO.  Otherwise LDHS is right, you do lose momentum and you do lose traction and pretty soon you're climbing up hill again. 

Back