• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

Been waiting all year to identify this mystery...

I know it's a novel, but please read this, there are pics I promise!!

I had just a few varieties of seeds to start off this season with. ( That all changed shortly afterward thanks to all of you. ;) )  Anyway, I planted a whole bunch of seeds and had them all labeled and everything. A few days later I came outside and half of my labels were scattered across the yard.

DAMN THOSE NEIGHBORHOOD KIDS!!

Well from then on out I knew it would be a VERY long wait to see what I actually had. Turns out after I grew them that most of them were either crosses or mislabelled anyway. There were a few that turned out not being anything remotely close to what i planted. One of the bags was labeled "mix" of two types, but still does not explain why everything grew so different from what they were supposed to be. A lot of the pots still had their labels and did not get mixed up, and they still grew different.

I got a lot of Dorset Nagas that looked very pimpled and obviously crossed with something. Yellow Primos that grew into true Dorsets, Yellow Trinidad Scorps that turned out to be true Dorsets, and Brain Strains that looked more like Jigsaws. There were a few others that grew into basically gnarly looking Dorset of some sort, with one batch that looked pimply with Habanero dimples. (<---Those were cool pods.) 

The funny thing is that even the pots that were not mixed up grew into something else. Pretty much everything that grew was a variation of a Dorset Naga which is funny because I only put 8 seeds of the Dorsets into ONE pot and never separated them. 

The Red Trinidad Scorp did grow true.

I did not really get much of what I truly wanted. Overall a very confusing grow from that batch of seeds.

Here is what I thought I planted, there only a few types, never separated from their pots. So I had 7 pots total, with 8 seeds in each:

Dorset Naga
Yellow Primo
Trinidad Scorpion Red
Yellow 7 Pot, Primo mix
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Brain Strain
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion

Now I only have one type to identify because it is so different from what i thought I was growing and I think it is an actual variety. I am thinking Yellow Congo maybe? Even though it was not on the list and I did not plant any Congos this year, it definitely fits the description of one and the pods were HUGE.

Here are the pics:

And a few shots of them beside what I have been calling Red Savina all year. After a little searching I found out they are actually Red Congos. These are some winter pods and are a little small, but earlier this year they were very, very, BIG. They look identical apart from color.

I got some pics of those gnarly Habanero Dorsets. I now share the pics with THP:

Help on identifying the "Congos" would be much appreciated. If you happen to recognise the second batch, let me know as well.

Thanks to all of you on THP.

the yellow is a yellow 7 pot. i had a couple of plants deliver the same short stocky type pods and some that delivered the traditional, "what you would expect" a 7 pot to look like and big too. seed all came from the same source and from the same baggie.

but, i too had the misfortune of mislabeling my plants, ones that i thought should have been dorset naga actually turned out to be yellow 7's. was able to comprehend how it happened after the fact, but i was just plain out carelessness on my part...........note to self, remove/cover last years tape with names, off container before reusing.

i know nothing about congo reds, as i have never grown them. as for red savina, i have been negatively vocal about them, as a matter of fact, just had that same conversation this morning with another member on red savina. (the thought being that unless your red savina came directly from Frank Garcia at GNS or one of his authorized labs, you won't be getting red savina as they are a hybrid. any seed saved from the red savina should not grow true. same would hold true if purchasing live plants labeled red savina, did the nursery get seed from GNS, if not they are growing out saved seeds and you know how that will turnout). i do grow caribbean reds and have grown red habanero of which i prefer the c/r.

feel free to peruse my photobucket account (burningcolon). it has pics of the stubby yellow 7.

Don't know what you have there, but I can relate to your dilemma. My dog ate almost all my labels this year. Had to relabel what I could remember and then pepper spray all of them. Told myself next year I will mark everything in the pots themselves with a silver sharpie or make a plant map just in case.

How hot are the yellow ones?

They look very similar to what I grew from 7 pot yellow seeds. I call mine the not 7 pots because they are habanero hot, not 7 pot hot. I had several plants and they all produced the same fruit. My best guess is a 7 pot crossed with a Scotch bonnet but I really have no idea.

Where did you get your seeds?

Mine from earlier this year.
20130821_180308.jpg

Back