Beer Butt Chicken!!!

I think this is the right forum for this, maybe not. No, I am not talking about molesting a chicken with a can of beer, more so grilling the little dude with a beer can stuck up it's butt (ok, so its not a butt, just the body cavity after cleaning)

Ever done it? If not, you should! It is my favorite summer cookout recipe. And here is how I do it...

Get a 5-6lb whole chicken from the market.

Remove from bag, remove the giblets and throw away, or save for cooking) and soak it in a salt water brine solution for 1 hour.

Make your rub for the chicken and apply to chicken, save some for later.

Get a 16 ounce or 24 ounce can of beer. Cut the inner ring off with some sharp scissors or whatever. Drink 1/3 of the can (a
good reason to drink beer? I think so!)

Smear cooking oil on the outside of the can, very important or the chicken will stick, making a mess when you try to remove the can.

Get your broiler pan from the oven and place it directly on the grill rack.

Place the can of beer in the center and add the remaining rub you saved from earlier to the beer (may cause foaming, go slow)

Position the chicken overtop. The chicken's legs will support it.

Cook for 1 1/2 to 2 hours on medium heat (when the juices run clear, its cooked)

Now why the broiler pan? Well this is a safety measure. The first time I cooked a chicken like this I made a hell of a fire in the grill and a MAJOR mess. Basically, it catches the grease and any spilled beer when you remove the can from the chicken.

ENJOY!!!

Side note: Giblets (heart, liver, gizzard, etc)
Get some Tin foil and put these into it with some butter, salt, herbs, whatever you think will taste good.
Cut up 1 whole onion, add to mix and wrap up, place on grill 30 minutes after you start cooking the chicken.

We need pics!!
I love beer can/Drunken chicken! If the site's search function was working I would recommend a search, especially in the BBQ section;)
Personally I think the can part is fun once as a novelty, but a more advanced "drunken chicken roaster" works much better and there are many designs

Yeah a more conventional cooker stand would be ideal, but this is the cheap way to do it and works perfectly.
Here you go, 2 ready to eat...
ABeerButt.jpg

My favorite way to do chicken. I do one almost every sunday so that I have awesome food throughout the week for lunches. It also works out to be much better food for a heck of a lot cheaper than eating out every day which is my only other option. After trying every other way, there simply is non better than a can of beer for moist, delicious bird.
We also do Turkeys this way with a Fosters can for thanksgiving.
My favorite is to do them in more of a Jerk Style marinade, but add in ground up Annatto seeds and the juice of 2 clementine oranges. Then I Give the chicken an implant job with one more Clementine cut in half and shoved up under the skin of each breast. MMmmmmmmm!

I also like doing them with Whiskey or Brandy as the can liquid, or if I need some kind of a sauce, I will do half a can of beer, add some garlic, other spices, Chili powder, a bullion cube and some butter to the can, and when the bird is done cooking I boil the can juice up and use that. Makes a great sauce/gravy base and there is no waste that way.

I also finally caved in and bought a can type roasting pan to make working with it a little easier. As many as I do it gets old doing the balancing act and the de-butting job.
Great. Now I'm hungry...

Matt50680 said:
Yeah a more conventional cooker stand would be ideal, but this is the cheap way to do it and works perfectly.
Here you go, 2 ready to eat...
ABeerButt.jpg

Where's the smoke?:confused: Them birds need a tan!

Seriously, you might want to throw some fruit or nut wood in there and add another layer of flavor. Tr it -- you might like it.:)

Back