• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Beer traps Kill Slugs

I don't have a lot of growing advice to give, but here is something that I learned last season:

I noticed too many large holes in the leaves of my Peppers. I saw the cluprit - slugs. I followed some advice from a friend and put beer in paper bowls in several spots in the garden. The hole magions stopped, and withine a few hours, the bowls had slugs, and other insects trapped inside. I had to empty the bowls a few times a week.

Beer would surely work from what I read, but it's too precious to me (unless it's garbage like Busch or Foster's or the Milwaukee beers or... the list goes on... but I'd never waste my money on that crap). I just go outside at night armed with some salt and a flashlight, go find a twig, and hunt the slimey bastards down. :)

It does seem like a never-ending hunt, though; I seem to find some new ones just about every night, at least last year (which was my first year growing). Hopefully if I keep killing them they'll be seen less and less, but I kind of doubt it...

Most of them seemed to be attracted to my pumpkin plant, but I did catch one in the act of eating the leaves on my habanero plant... yes, it is most definitely history.

I had a big problem with them last year. Kept eating my marigolds in the front as well as nearly stripped my habanero and scorpions plants. I put a little Sluggo down around the plants and never saw them again.

jacob

Beer traps work great but I prefer using crushed egg shells or diamataceous earth. If you buy slug bait make sure it is pet friendly, I nearly killed my dog one year it was just luck that my buddy saw him eat it

I saw a clip on TV recently from the 1970's of a Man here in the UK with his pet giant Snail. It was a huge sucker, about the size of a grown man's hand. It drank about a quarter of a pint, and then just keeled over....:drunk:

Modern drunk British snails insult you, start singing football chants, dance in horrible 80's discos, pee on war monuments, and then throw up on your chillies and pass out on the garden floor next to your tomatos...

Beer traps work great but I prefer using crushed egg shells or diamataceous earth. If you buy slug bait make sure it is pet friendly, I nearly killed my dog one year it was just luck that my buddy saw him eat it

I'm with you Piowatie. I use diatomaceous earth and egg shells for slugs as well. They are environmentally friendly and they cut up slugs. Beer does work well too as well as salt. But one year I saw a bunch of slugs on my pepper plants and started sprinkling salt on them while on the plants. I not only killed the slugs, but several of my pepper plants as well.

Back