• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Beerbreath 2015---Up and Running

Time for another season. Big hopes for a better season this year. Last year was a near complete bust for me, started out battling ferocious winds, very poor extremely hard clay soil, too much rain, and a number of other issues. I was able to learn from it, had some plants up near the house I babysat through the season, and I have since made some massive improvements to the soil and hope to get a fence up to act as a windbreak before the plant out in May. This is my second year with a giant garden (50x50) and have no intentions of scaling down just yet. In the past I have been limited to a small 15x5 garden because of where I lived. We moved to our new (and hopefully permanent) home in Nov of 2013. 

In the past I have always started my seeds in Feb. Last year I broke the norm and started Jan 1st. Peppers did really good but most all started producing buds a month before plant out. The tomatoes got to leggy and were very weak at the plant out. Most of them died but was able to save a couple up near the house. I think I was able to get 1 tomato off the two plants I had near the house. My good friend catherinew hooked me up with about 30 fresh tomato's from her garden toward the end of last season. She has been a very good friend and has helped me out immensely, supplying me with leaves for the garden, peppers, tomatoes, even some toys for the boys. She is soo awesome and I thank this forum for helping us meet. 

Wanna also thank everyone for the encouraging words last season especially Devv and Sawyer, they offered some very valuable advise to help improve the soil conditions here at the house. A special thanks to the generosity of seacowboy, joefish, and OCD chilihead sharing loads of peppers last season. Awesome, just Awesome. Pepper people really are the BEST!! 

Now, on to the season. I got the seeds sowed last Wednesday. Have 200 exactly right now but have some more seeds coming in the mail. Think I will settle on somewhere around 220 for a total count. Heres the list in no special order.....

White Bhut Jolokia--2
Naga Morich--3
Jigsaw--1
Barrackpore--1
Cumra Cherry--2
Douglah Red--2
Giant Jalapeno--3
Hot Banana Pepper--3
Datil--1
Chimayo
Choc. Bubblegum--2
Prik--3
Moa Scotch Bonnet--2
T. Scorpion Red--4
Pimente D' Espellete (true, from France)--3
Aji Brazilian Pumpkin--4
Golden Habanero--1
Orange Peter Pepper--1
Aji Habanero--3
White Bullet Habanero--2
Malaguetina--3
Aji Cito--4
Jays Peach Ghost Scorpion--2
Goats Weed--2
Tabasco--4
Goldfinger--3
5 Color Chinese--2
T. Scorpion Chocolate--3
Arribi Gussano--2
Chupetina--4
Pequin
Chiluacle Amarillo--4
Choc. Bhut Jolokia--1
Antillias Caribean Habanero--2
Red Peter Pepper--3
Thick Cayenne--1
Biker Billy Jalapeno--3
Cayenne Chile--3
Red Thai--2
Paper Lantern Habanero--2
Zimbabwe Bird Pepper--2
Yellow Pointed Pepper--2
Aji Limo--2
Venetian Seasoning
Bishops Crown--2
Peach Bhut Jolokia--3
Aji Amarillo--3
Rooster Spur--2
Cherry Hot--5
Birgets Locoto
Brazilian Starfish--2
Jimmy Nardelo--2
Red Scotch Bonnet--2
Yellow Devils Toungue--2
Goronong
Sus Biberi--2
Aji Pineapple-2
Scotch Bonnet (True)--2
Mustard Bhut Jolokia--3
Lightning Mustard Habanero--3
Fish Pepper--2
Mustard Habanero
Aji Lemon Drop--4
Manzano Red--3
Bubblegum Red--2
Dorset Naga
T. Scorpion Yellow--2
Red Bhut Jolokia--4
Yellow Bhut Jolokia--3
Prarrie Fire--2
Orange Bhut Jolokia--4
7 Pot Madballz--2
Francisco Pepper-1
Cascabella Pepper--3
Heart Throb--3
Pepperoncini--3
Pinzon--3
Ring of Fire Cayenne--2
Santa Fe--3

Thanks to those for seeds, I'm not very good at remembering who gave what, but usually can remember the who. Some sent seeds (this year and/or last), others I harvest from fresh and dried peppers sent to me. 

Trade Winds Fruits
Seacowboy
Rory
AdamStl
Smokenfire
Meatfreak
Peter S
Meathead1313
Coachspencersx
Djinn
Catherinew
Marc V
Joefish
Coki
Pepperlover
Aarron TT
Neoguy
TexasHotPeppers
Jaunitos
Sicman
Hendrix1326
Spicy Chicken
MS1476
OCD Chilihead

What an awesome and generous community!!!!!

Here's a shot of the setup, have the lights running just to provide heat for now. The only change I made from last year was I tapped into the main water on the house and rigged up a little watering hose, (ill get a shot later to show ya) so no more hauling gallons of water to the basement this year. Whoo hoo.

DSC_0158 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0155 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0157 (1024x681).jpg

Thanks for stopping by more to come...Hope everyone has a great weekend!

**list edited to show quanties 4-6-15

Looking good Anthony. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you this season. I know what your talking about now with the winds out here. Having to work in it down here near Greeley the past 5 months. Wow. It's relentless at times. I'm liking the list brother.

Good luck and thanks for sharing

Chuck

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Looking amazing up in here!
Thanks Chris, and really enjoying the powders you sent.

winland said:
Nice idea and good work on that water line.

Thanks win, I was gonna do kind of a jerry rig set up, but the father in-law wouldnt have it. We spent about a half a day, and a couple trips to the harware store, but happy how it turned out

Devv said:
I like what I see!

Plenty of babies to plant soon!
Thanks Scott, cant wait to get them in the ground

tctenten said:
Great start and a very nice setup I am sure your plants will appreciate it.
Thanks for the kind words, still want to do some more mods to see if I can keep the heat in, all in time. ;)

Bpoole55 said:
Dude this is an awesome idea! I have clay as well, def going to do this! And a big shout out to beerbreath for sending me tons of seeds. Look forward to to this glog!
No problem Bryan, hope you have a great season

Pulpiteer said:
I like that water line!

Also love the "Francisco Pepper" - cool idea.  Will be fun to see how that turns out.

Everything is looking great!
Thanks Andy, ya I'm curious to see how it will turn out too. Had some really good flavor/heat

Peter S said:
Looks like a lot of nice plants coming up! Your grow area looks so clean and organized.
Thanks Peter, finally got a workbench setup over the weekend. So I moved all my containers, seeds, catalogs, etc, down to the basement. The wife was happy to get her little computer area back.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Anthony. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you this season. I know what your talking about now with the winds out here. Having to work in it down here near Greeley the past 5 months. Wow. It's relentless at times. I'm liking the list brother.

Good luck and thanks for sharing

Chuck
Chuck, good to see that your getting yours going to. Terrible weekend weather, we've had a pretty good winter overall but all this snow needs to take a hike. The wind is deffinatly a challenge. I grew up with it out on the eastern plains but then moved and had been in the city limits so long I forgot how bad it can be out here. Spring time seems to be the worst in my opinion.

PaulG said:
Those starts ought to be growin' big!
They are starting to take off, still have a few chinese that are taking there sweet time coming up but all in all happy so far. I went ahead and did a test run on the soil I bought (vermifire) to see if the little gals can handle it. I planted up a annum in it over the weekend, so far doesnt seem to mind still looking good. If all is well by this next weekend I will probably go ahead and roll the dice, all showing true leaves will be potted.

Hope all had a great weekend.

OCD Chilehead said:
Just checking in to see how everything is going? I'm off to a slow start this year. Just moved back from working out of town. May have to buy some plants.

Hope all is well.

Chuck
good to hear your back home Chuck, man I have really been neglecting this glog I really need an update here. The plants are doing well and got tomatoes started a few weeks back. Let me know if you would like me to send ya some plants, should have some spare lying around. Take care and have a great weekend buddy

beerbreath81 said:
good to hear your back home Chuck, man I have really been neglecting this glog I really need an update here. The plants are doing well and got tomatoes started a few weeks back. Let me know if you would like me to send ya some plants, should have some spare lying around. Take care and have a great weekend buddy

QFT. Now get back here and post up some updates buddy. :D
By the way, out of the seeds you sent, I have a dozen tomatoes I have never tried up and growing. They first showed up in my glog the other day, but I didn't get any close ups. I'll get some soon. Thanks again for the seeds.

Jeff H said:

QFT. Now get back here and post up some updates buddy. :D

By the way, out of the seeds you sent, I have a dozen tomatoes I have never tried up and growing. They first showed up in my glog the other day, but I didn't get any close ups. I'll get some soon. Thanks again for the seeds.
So glad to hear the tomatoes are up. Thanks for the kick in the pants, Ive made a personal commitment to update tonight. Looooong overdue.

ok as promised, I finally have an update for you all. So been really busy here around the house both indoors and out. The plants seem to be doing well so far. I did lose a few to the new soil mix (not my best idea to change to something ive never used before). Also lost a couple due to watering we were out for a three day weekend a while back and when I returned the plants were not very happy with me. Some did not make it to show their discontent. Planted the tomatoes about three weeks ago and they are screaming at me to repot them. Don't worry I bought all the supplies and have time set aside tomorrow. In the meantime heres some pics for your viewing pleasure

Top and bottom grow shelf
1.jpg

2.jpg

Reserves and tomatoes
3.jpg

some closeups
4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

had some workbenches on sale at the local home depot so we added one here to make potting a little easier
9.jpg

Winter Rye in the Garden
10.jpg

11.jpg

Fruit Trees, waiting for them to come back
12.jpg

An apple leads the race
13.jpg

Tulips we planted up near the lawn in November have poked their heads through the hard soil...yaaay
14.jpg

Ok, that's all for now. Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend

Looking good Anthony. Everything looks nice and healthy. That bench will save the back for sure. Nice to see the fruit trees are coming back. It was a pretty mild Winter this year compared to others. We had crazy wind over here on the Western Slope today.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck

Cool to see all the stuff you've got going on at your place! Do you have problems with deer and your fruit trees?  Good to see them coming to life.

OCD Chilehead said:
Looking good Anthony. Everything looks nice and healthy. That bench will save the back for sure. Nice to see the fruit trees are coming back. It was a pretty mild Winter this year compared to others. We had crazy wind over here on the Western Slope today.

Thanks for sharing

Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I'm so happy with the new bench downstairs. A few more fruit trees are coming back to another apple and two of the pairs, thinking that if I can get them to come back this year i'm in the clear. Now is the time for the winds to really get strong out here, came home to a tipped over trampoline so had to do some damage control
:D
coachspencerxc said:
Liking the pics!
Thanks coach, I upgraded to a Nikon D3200 still lots to learn. I see the train is coming to me tomorrow :dance:

Devv said:
Plants looking great and ready for dirt!

"bout time to turn that rye under ;)

Good luck this year!
Scott, cant wait for the big day to get these ladies in the ground. You wouldn't believe how fast the rye has taken off since my last post may have to mow it soon. Ill be sure and get some update pics in before messing with it. So grateful for yours and Sawyers advice for the cover crop. I'm digging it

Peter S said:
Plants are looking really good Anthony. Nice outdoor grow space too!
Thanks Pete, looking forward to this years grow hopefully better season year two out here

Pulpiteer said:
Cool to see all the stuff you've got going on at your place! Do you have problems with deer and your fruit trees?  Good to see them coming to life.
Andy, thanks for stopping to check it out, still have yet to see the grapes come back but my fingers are crossed. The tulips did come up this year (ill get some pics) but they are really small plants with but do have flowers not sure if the soil is to blame or normal for the first year, either way I'm happy they came up. I've learned so much with the soil out here and will defiantly do things differently with plantings this year. I don't have any problems with deer yet, actually I have yet to see any deer out here. heard plenty of turkeys calling though. The boss has some fruit trees not to far away and is warning me of the wasp swarms and the drunken rabbits once the fruit sets. :D

OCD Chilehead said:
What's up buddy? I seen you guys are going to be getting some rain this week. How are the plants doing? Hope all is well.
Hey Chuck,

Man weve been getting lots of rain here past few weeks. Been waiting for it to dry out so i can till the garden and get the plants in. They are screaming at me to get outside. Thought i would get my chance this weekend but saw chance of snow in the forcast. Lows around 28 degrees on Sunday. The rye is doing really good in the garden though probably a foot tall now, my plan (once it drys out a bit) is to mow the rye and then till eveything in. Hope all is well on your side.

beerbreath81 said:
Hey Chuck,

Man weve been getting lots of rain here past few weeks. Been waiting for it to dry out so i can till the garden and get the plants in. They are screaming at me to get outside. Thought i would get my chance this weekend but saw chance of snow in the forcast. Lows around 28 degrees on Sunday. The rye is doing really good in the garden though probably a foot tall now, my plan (once it drys out a bit) is to mow the rye and then till eveything in. Hope all is well on your side.
Everything is going well on this side of the mountains. Crazy rain here as well. I'm going to be patient before I go outside. I'll start with my raised beds first. I can always cover them up. I need to look at last years Glog to see when I hardened them off. Good luck with the cover crop.

Have a great weekend.

Chuck

How's it going? Hope your garden is doing well. I'm starting to get some pods growing from the plants you gave me. As soon as I get enough at one time, I'll send you a box. I figured I would bug you since the last time I posted was May 8th. LOL!

Hope all is well brother. If you need anything let me know.

Back